MLIS students, librarians, archivists, collectors, and other scholars are invited to take part in an interactive tour of Rare Books LAX guided by Russell Johnson (Curator of History of Medicine and the Sciences at UCLA Library Special Collections) and Derek Quezada (Special Collections Outreach and Public Services Librarian at UC Irvine).
Featuring more than 75 leading specialists in antiquarian books, fine prints, photography, maps, and ephemera, the inaugural Rare Books LAX takes place October 5 and 6, 2019 at The Proud Bird in Los Angeles, a historic event center with an adjacent award-winning food bazaar, which is located a stone’s throw from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). For more information, visit www.rarebooksla.com
Each tour will run about 90 minutes, during which Russell and Derek will lead their ducklings up and down the aisles of the fair and discuss their approach to collection development, evaluating material for purchase, and the proper care and feeding of booksellers. Russell will lead tours beginning at 10:30 AM and 1 PM, respectively, on Saturday, October 5, while Derek will lead tours beginning at 11 AM and 1:30 PM, respectively, on Sunday, October 6.
Space is limited: each tour is capped at six participants.
When you reserve a spot for a tour, you will also receive complimentary admission to Rare Books LAX.
- Follow this link:
- Then click on the green “Tickets” button …
- Click on “Enter promo code” …
- Enter the word Tour and click on “Apply”
- Select your Tour date and time (for example, Oct. 5 at 10:30) and number of attendees (“1”). Notice that the Order Summary, at right, totals $20.00. There is another step to do, to reset this to $0.00 …
- Scroll down to “General Admission” and select “0” – and then click “Checkout”
- Enter your name and email address, click “Register”, and you’re done!
After you select an available tour and complete your registration, a confirmation and ticket will be emailed to you.
If the tours are full and you would still like to attend Rare Books LAX, discounted passes are available through Goldstar:
If you have any additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 626-634-0075.