University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Availability: one position currently available immediately (March 2019)
Hours: Up to 20 hours per week comprised of shifts as noted below:
Tuesdays 9:00 am-2:00 pm
Fridays 9:00 am-2:00 pm
other shifts as needed
The Van Pelt Dietrich Library Center Public Services Department is seeking an enthusiastic candidate looking for an experience that varies with every changing day. This candidate should be in pursuit of a master’s degree in library and information science.
Weekly, this candidate will provide in-person assistance at the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center Information Services Desk. These job responsibilities include, but are not limited the following tasks:
- Evaluating and answering minor research questions
- Referring major/in-depth research questions to a subject specialist librarian
- Assisting patrons with consultation scheduling and directory technology
- Assist patrons with finding materials in the library stacks
- Providing directional assistance to library patrons
- Answering queries from library patrons in-person and on the phone
- Providing excellent customer services
The successful candidate in this position will work on various access services, public services and technical services tasks including but not limited to:
- Creating library and resource guides
- Some assessment and public services based projects
- Some opportunities for library literacy instruction
- Some opportunities for community outreach
- Serials verification and claiming
- Other tasks as needed
The Public Services Intern will be trained to help library patrons with locating books, articles, and other citations, booking group study rooms, using library technology, and with referrals to other library services and staff.
Basic training in using library databases will enable a successful candidate working in this position to provide expert service to patrons of the Van Pelt Dietrich Library Center as well as develop their own research expertise.
Bachelor’s degree required
Some course work in Library and Information Science graduate program
Experience with an integrated library system; preferably Alma
Customer service experience
Strong public service orientation.
Ability to seamlessly maneuver from one work task to another in a service based environment, work independently, and face new and unexpected questions on a regular basis.
Ability to lift materials of up to 20-30 lbs., accounting for books, paper reams, etc
General understanding of both PC and Apple mobile technology
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter including information about your schedule availability:
Please write “Library Public Services Internship” in the subject line.
The University of Pennsylvania values diversity and is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.library.upenn.edu.