Ohio State University
Publishing and Repository Services Librarian
The Publishing and Repository Services Librarian leads The Ohio State University Libraries program for innovative and sustainable publishing and repository services to support scholarly content creation and stewardship. This tenure-track faculty position provides operational, tactical, and strategic leadership for the Libraries Open Access digital publishing and institutional repository services and initiatives. The Publishing and Repository Services Librarian builds new capacity, publishing partnerships, and services and sustains existing, successful initiatives. This work will include accelerating campus partnerships, advancing the Libraries publishing program, and guiding the continued growth of Ohio State’s institutional repository, the Knowledge Bank.
The Ohio State University Libraries currently publishes and hosts fifteen Open Access journals, archives the research and scholarship of more than 100 campus partners, and promotes the open sharing of scholarly works created by Ohio State faculty, staff, and students. As a member of the Scholarly Sharing Program Area’s leadership team, the Publishing and Repository Services Librarian reports to the Scholarly Sharing Strategist and helps support new models for the dissemination of research, scholarship, and creative expression in alignment with the Libraries strategic directions. The Publishing
and Repository Services unit currently includes three staff members and .5 FTE students. Publishing and Repository Services works in close collaboration with Copyright Services, the Libraries’ Research
Commons, Libraries IT, and subject specialists. Campus partners include the university press and an affordable textbook publishing program managed by the OCIO.
The Libraries’ values include equity with a commitment to advancing diversity, inclusivity, access, and social justice. All Libraries’ leaders are expected to actively champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, broader organization and profession, and foster a collegial, nurturing work culture.
• Provides vision, focus, and leadership for publishing and repository services within University
• Manages the staff and operations in the Publishing and Repository Services unit.
• Engages with partners within University Libraries, with other campus constituencies, and with consortial partners and communities of collaboration to support the advancement of strategic activities in scholarly publishing and repository services.
• Promotes engagement with and leadership contributions to national conversations relating to Open Access, scholarly communication, and author’s rights.
• Builds and maintains a research program and service profile related to publishing and repository services. Presents and publishes in appropriate venues in order to raise own and Libraries’ profile.
• An ALA-accredited master’s degree, a master’s degree with specialization in archives, a master’s degree in museum studies or a comparable graduate degree in one of the above fields from a nonU.S. university, reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
• Minimum of three years of relevant professional experience including progressively responsible leadership experience resulting in strong leadership capabilities.
• A track record of building effective partnerships and sustaining relationships in a collaborative and complex environment.
• Strong expertise in many facets of professional practice relating to scholarly publishing and repository models and trends.
• Experience with new and emerging technologies that support scholarly publishing.
• Commitment to librarianship, scholarship, and service, which are required criteria to meet University and University Libraries requirements for promotion and tenure.
• Evidence of scholarly contribution and engagement with organizations or multi-institutional initiatives in the arena of publishing and repository services.
• Experience with open source repository software platforms and open source publishing platforms used in library-based publishing programs (for example, DSpace and Open Journal Systems).
• Knowledge of copyright, fair use, and grants compliance as they relate to scholarly publishing.
• Track record of engagement in Open Access initiatives in research institutions.
• Evidence of successful and creative management of staff and services.
• Experience in successfully presenting educational programs and resources to diverse audiences.
Discover Ohio State
For 149 years, The Ohio State University’s campus in Columbus has been the stage for academic achievement and a laboratory for innovation. The university’s main campus is one of America’s largest and most comprehensive. As Ohio’s best and one of the nation’s top-20 public universities, Ohio State also includes a top-rated academic medical center and a premier cancer hospital and research center. As a land-grant university, Ohio State has a physical presence throughout the state, with campuses and research centers located around Ohio.
About The Ohio State University Libraries
The Libraries promotes innovative research and creative expression, advances effective teaching,
curates and preserves information essential for scholarship and learning at Ohio State, and shares knowledge and culture with the people of Ohio, the nation, and the world. Libraries faculty and staff live these values in all that we do: Discovery, Connection, Equity, Integrity, and Stewardship. Learn about our strategic directions here https://library.osu.edu/strategic-directions.
The Libraries’ greatest resource is our faculty and staff. Their expertise produces value beyond the collections and their commitment to continual improvement and innovation is one of the most significant ways the Libraries meets the diverse and evolving information needs of university students, faculty, staff, alongside scholars throughout Ohio and the world. As a global leader, the Libraries is actively engaged in local, statewide, national, and international initiatives to help shape the future of academic research libraries. These activities and the innovations
that result enhance our ability to acquire, manage, and preserve emerging information resources, support knowledge creation, and enable its effective transmission to future learners. Information about the Libraries is available at https://library.osu.edu.
The Libraries strives to provide welcoming, supportive environments for all to pursue and share knowledge. The Libraries is guided by our strategic priorities that facilitate, celebrate and honor diversity, inclusion, access and social justice. All positions are expected to contribute to building and advancing this environment, and we encourage candidates to apply who share these values.
This is a full-time, regular, 12-month appointment as a tenure-track faculty member. The candidate will be required to meet university and Libraries requirements for promotion and tenure. Salary, position type, and faculty rank are dependent on qualifications and experience.
The university offers competitive benefits in the form of 22 days’ vacation, 15 days’ sick leave, 10 holidays, hospitalization, major medical, surgical-medical, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, and life insurance at 2.5 times one’s annual salary. State and alternative retirement choices are also available. For a summary of benefits, see: https://hr.osu.edu/new-employees/benefits-overview.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Preference will be given to applications received by July 7, 2019. Please send cover letter, CV, references, and salary requirements to Brittany Steingass at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Publishing and Repository Services Librarian” in the subject field.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status. The Ohio State University is a member of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Diversity Alliance.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com