At Getty Digital, we’re re-imagining how we can use software to provide access to our collections and research. We intend to provide a deeply, consistent experience for scholars, researchers, and as they explore the complex information held across the Getty. At Getty Digital we believe that the best software is built by teams with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We strive to provide a collaborative environment where all team members have the opportunity to learn, grow, and contribute to the software we build and our overall vision.
We’re looking for a senior developer to work with our Research Application Development team. Our team is focused on initiatives for the discovery and presentation of cultural heritage information and is for the Getty Museum’s collection online, the Research Institute’s archival collections, the Getty Research Portal, the Getty vocabularies, and other initiatives. We are a highly collaborative team with regular co-working sessions, code reviews, and pair programming as common practices.
As a Sr. Software Engineer, you will report to the software architect, and have responsibilities that include helping to estimate, plan, and execute major software initiatives across the Getty; existing applications and projects; collaborating, and mentoring, and sharing expertise with a talented team of software developers to set an example of best practices. You will work with subject matter experts, UX researchers, designers, and other software developers, to build experiences that share information across the Getty and with the world.
Our software stack is Vue.js on the front end, with backend implementations in Python, data provided via APIs, and custom search interfaces using Elasticsearch. The Getty is dedicated to using Linked Open Data across our architecture, and to the use of IIIF for access to rich media assets. The Getty is among the most prestigious cultural heritage organizations in the world, dedicated to furthering the study of the history of art. You will work on an amazing campus amongst fabulous art, architecture, and archives and with world-class scientists, curators, librarians, archivists, and academics. We are committed to balancing work and personal life, offering a family friendly work environment with benefits including accrued vacation, every other Friday off, personal and sick time, and excellent benefits.
- Design, build, and maintain an ecosystem of applications presenting detailed information about the Getty’s collections and scholarship
- Write technical specifications and design documents for new features and applications
- Guide the technical implementation of new features and applications
- Participate in the day-to-day development and testing of applications as part of a team
- Maintain and upgrade existing applications as part of a team
- Perform code reviews and provide feedback to peer developers
- Follow and help enforce Getty policies and practices for software development including writing maintainable, testable, and human-readable code
- A deep interest in the work of cultural heritage
- 5+ years software development experience
- Strong expertise with Vue.js, NPM, and Webpack
- Expertise with Python, Flask, and Django
- Experience developing dynamic, data-driven web applications
- Experience with unit and end-to-end testing frameworks
- Experience with HTML & CSS, including the use of pre-processors
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Experience with REST APIs & HTTP
- Ability to communicate professionally, with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet overlapping deadlines
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Experience with RDF, Linked Data, and/or Graph data structures
- Experience with the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF)
- A deep knowledge of museum, library and archival practice, systems, and metadata standards
- Experience with building and deploying applications using Docker and AWS
To apply for this job please visit jobs-getty.icims.com.