|Tenure Information||Tenure Track|
|Pay Rate (or Annual Salary)||$62,035 – $88,687/annual|
|Job Location||Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA 94545|
|Job Summary||The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking a Librarian for Chabot College in Hayward, California.
This position reports directly to the Division Dean.
The Systems & Reference Librarian for Public Services
|Representative Duties||1. Develops, troubleshoots and maintains the Library Services Platform
● Operates as Library staff authority on circulation and patron access, including their governing policies and procedures.
● Proactively troubleshoots by using a “What if” approach.
● Troubleshoots problems reported by library staff, and, when needed, follows up with vendor support staff.
● Able to come to notice patterns and come to reasonable conclusions based of information given, even if incomplete information.
● Manages reports and policy tables that govern circulation and patron services.
● Configures properties, toolbars, staff access, and user records.
● Manages new releases and the implementation of new features.
● Reads and distributes release notes. Trains staff on changes in software and procedures.
● Coordinates beta testing efforts.
● Customizes the public interface using scripting languages, Cascading Style Sheets, and widgets.
● Schedules and manages annual maintenance procedures.
● Confers regularly with LSP vendor staff.
● Participates and works with other librarians on statewide aspects of the LSP and makes sure relevant Chabot content is represented in any of the shared catalog aspects that may come up with the LSP.
● Advocates for enhancements to circulation, and the Discovery system, including the online public catalog aspects.
● Monitors reported issues and seeks their resolution.
● Coordinates usability testing and/or other approaches to evaluate the user experience (UX) of the LSP.
● Is self-directed, able to ask questions when things are not clear and able to speak up about issues.
2. Supports Classified Library Staff
3. Additional Responsibilities
4. Experience with an Integrated Library System/Library System Platform, including administrative/back end functions.
5. Knowledge of a Discovery service such as Primo or Ebscohost Discovery System.
6. Experience in the training of technologies, software and/or databases including working with administrative back ends.
7. Experience in cataloging and management of processes in the library’s Technical Services.
8. Familiarity with MARC formats for bibliographic and authority records.
9. Experience providing reference services in an academic library setting.
10. Evidence of ability to work effectively as the leader as a member of the Technical Services team.
11. Experience providing innovative and creative leadership in the development of library programs and services.
12. Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with current library standards and practices, especially in the areas of circulation, interlibrary loan, and patron privacy.
13. Knowledge of RDA, AACR2, and other relevant cataloging standards.
14. Able to see the big picture with respect to the aspect of the LSP of the whole Library environment, especially virtual.
15. Strong oral and written communication skills to be able to convey/explain information and train staff.
16. Strong observational skills including the need to be able to come to understand people’s values and interests and act accordingly.
17. Able to scan the environment and understand what the institutional constraints are and how to navigate.
18. Demonstrated sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities.
|Minimum Education and Experience|
|Minimum Qualifications||Master’s in library science, library and information science, OR the equivalent.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 11:59:59 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2019 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.
|Desirable Qualifications||1. Project management experience, preferably with multiple projects.
2. Experience with the coordination of multiple personnel.
3. Experience with managing quality assurance and testing.
4. A track record of on-time project completion.
5. Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with current library standards and practices, especially in the areas of circulation, interlibrary loan, and patron privacy.
7. Proficiency in working with personal computer operating systems (Windows and MAC OS), spreadsheets, and word processing.
8. Experience in systems/program development, including programming, analysis and design, testing, implementation, and information architecture are highly desirable.
10. Knowledge of other Library-related systems such as EBSCOhost Discovery System, Libguides, EZProxy and Stackmap.
11. Experience providing information competency instruction in a community college library.
12. Experience in outreach activities for students and faculty.
13. Evidence of interest in working in the community college setting.
14. Strong analytical and technical problem solving skills for complex applications.
15. Strong detail orientation, customer focus, excellent writing and organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple priorities/deadlines.
16. Flexibility in an environment of changing priorities and technologies.
17. Demonstrated ability to work with people with varying levels of computer skills, as well as the ability to make technology understandable to the library and college communities. Patience, tact, and excellent communication skills are required.
18. Strong background and experience with services to the mobile user, including use of mobile devices (smartphones and tablets), sending library notices as text messages, scanning barcodes from mobile devices, library apps, mobile websites, and RSS feeds, and social media including Facebook, and Twitter.
|Job Work Schedule||This position is full-time, tenure track, beginning Fall 2019. Employment will begin on or about August 15, 2019.|
|Physical Demands and Working Environment||INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLEACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.|
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Special Instructions to Applicants|
|Notification to Applicants||The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.|
|Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement||The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.|
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Write in up to 250 words how you would manage a migration to a new LSP with classified Library staff. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called “Response to Supplemental Question 1.”(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Response to Supplemental Question 1
- Other Document
- Equivalency Statement