Website Stillman College
Stillman College is soliciting applications for the position of Head Librarian and Coordinator for Digital Information and Learning. The successful applicant will work with current library and technology staff to coordinate library services while developing the digital library holdings and services to transition a traditional historic library with hard copy holdings into a twenty-first century learning and research center for faculty and students with a museum for historic and archival material holdings. This position requires a dynamic and innovative library professional who will be able to implement systems and services to bring digital resources to faculty and students while developing the library into a dynamic student learning center.
The ideal candidate will be a technology savvy innovator aware of the trends and issues related to digital scholarship and research as well as a collaborative team member energized by the challenges of developing new strategies and processes for a student oriented learning center. This candidate will also have experience or training as an archivist with an understanding of curating museum presentation and holdings.
- Curating the historic holdings of Sheppard Library and design of a museum of these holdings that illustrate the significant contributions of the College to the community and the larger society of West Alabama.
- Working the development team and relevant vendors design and coordinate a digital library system and environment will enhance student use and access to library resources and study spaces.
- Maintain vendor relationships for research, access, discovery, and user services software and tools.
- Provide guidance and appropriate workflow for acquisition and update maintenance of appropriate digital materials to support research and learning.
- Promote digital scholarship on campus by working with library staff, faculty, students, and other staff to develop initiatives, workshops, training, and/or other instructional opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Masters degree in Library and Information Science or a combination of degree and experience appropriate to the needs of the position.
- Experience and interest in the museum curation of historic materials and archives.
- Experience in digital information systems design.
- Familiarity with data and metadata standards as related to digital libraries and digital scholarship.
- Consistent accuracy and attention to detail while maintaining a high level of productivity.
- Ability to work both collegially and independently.
- Competence and sensitivity to a college environment with a historic covenant with the Presbyterian Church (USA) where students have diverse levels of preparation.
- Strong initiative and solid judgment abilities/skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Skilled in establishing cooperative working relationships in the course of performing assigned duties
- Skilled in working with students in distress and compassionately problem solving while making use of multiple resources
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org PDF files of: 1) cover letter addressing the candidate’s interest in and qualifications for the position; 2) resume; and 3) completed Stillman Employment Application: http://www.stillman.edu/images/documents/application.pdf
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Stillman College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success