Website Jersey City Free Public Library
Job Title: Librarian I – Adult Services (1 Vacancy)
Department: Library Services
Location: Earl Morgan Branch (Remote during closure of public buildings)
Posting Date: May 11, 2020
*Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, may change at any time with or without notice.
The Jersey City Free Public Library is seeking a dynamic and entrepreneurial Team Leader to lead our newly formed College Readiness Program Committee. Reporting to the Assistant Director, Lifelong Learning, the Team Leader will join a committed and highly creative team of librarians and staff who make up the Jersey City Free Public Library.
The Team Leader will forge partnerships with local schools, corporations, foundations, community leaders and other individuals committed to achieve outcomes related to college readiness in Jersey City.
Additionally, the Team Leader will hire and manage staff to both build and sustain the Library’s college readiness programming to maximize both short and long-term impact.
The ideal candidate will care deeply about our youth and will have the ability to inspire students to advance in their academic careers. The team Leader will also inspire library staff, our board, the community and donors to advance our mission.
Some Specific Job Duties may include:
- Plan, execute and evaluate the overall strategic direction of the College Readiness Team
- Manage the College Readiness Team including recruiting, training, evaluating and motivating team members.
- Develop and execute college readiness programming in alignment with the library’s priorities and local, regional and national strategic directions/priorities for college readiness
- Establish, maintain and evaluate partnerships focused on college readiness.
- Obtain external funding through grant-writing and donations.
- Contribute to the profession through active participation in state and national organizations, particularly those related to college readiness.
- Master’s degree in Library or Information Sciences in a library program accredited by the American Library Association or from a New Jersey College Master’s program in Library Science that has been deemed acceptable by Thomas Edison State University.
- May be required to possess a valid certification as a Professional Librarian issued by Thomas Edison State University.
- Ability to keep informed of current theories, objectives, principles, and techniques of librarianship: and adapt to modern technology, library trends and innovations.
- Ability to identify, customize, create and present innovative programs and services and integrate new technologies into library service.
- Ability to read, write, speak, or communicate in a second language other than English.
- Experience in Urban Libraries highly desired.
- Record of involvement in professional association. (ALA, NJLA,etc.)
Position is subject to the NJ First Residency requirement.
To submit your interest for this position, please indicate in writing to the Personnel Office or by email and note the position applying for in the subject line to HR@jclibrary.org within fifteen (15) days of the posting of this notice.
To apply for this job please visit joblist.ala.org.