Website York County Libraries
York County (PA) Libraries (YCL) seeks an engaging and experienced advocate for children and young adults as its next Director of Youth Services. Working with strategic partners throughout York County, the Director of Youth Services will seek to lead and participate in community initiatives achieving the Library’s goals supporting teens, children, and families.
The Director of Youth Services (DYS) must have vision for planning innovative, diverse, and collaborative programs and services for YCL. Demonstrating strategic agility, superior listening skills, ability to manage with ambiguity, flexibility to see opportunity in diverse situations, and political savvy to build strong relationships, the DYS works closely and collaboratively with key stakeholders and partners throughout the County serving as an advocate for children and young adults. The Director also participates in the hiring, training, and supervising of all YCL youth services staff and is a key member of the Library’s leadership team. A focus on customer service is essential to the success of this position.
Candidate must have vision for an overall plan for Youth Services that embraces innovation, diversity and collaboration. This person
must have strategic agility, deal well with ambiguity and have the flexibility to see opportunity in diverse situations. The candidate must
have political savvy to build strong relationships and a quality team and needs superior listening skills. The individual must possess
outstanding writing, communication and presentation skills, strong organizational skills and attention to detail, strong skills in data
analytics and reporting, and the ability to manage and supervise staff. Customer focus is essential to provide quality programs to youth
of all ages. The following qualifications are required:
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in a library setting.
- A minimum of three years of supervisory experience in a public library.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current trends and practices in youth services.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, implement and measure performance goals.
- Experience in urban and rural library settings.
- Child Abuse clearance, Pennsylvania Criminal History Check, FBI Criminal Record Check and Mandated Reporter Training is required.
The starting salary range for the position is $75,000 – $85,000 (with placement dependent upon experience and qualifications) and an attractive benefits package.