Fort Hays State University
The Digital Curation Special Collections and Archives Digitization Specialist assists the Digital Curation Librarian with creating and entering administrative and descriptive metadata for Forsyth Digital Collections and Archives Online, maintains metadata quality control for Forsyth Digital Collections and Archives Online, and assists with Special Collections and Archives projects. No previous metadata experience is necessary, but will need the ability to read cursive handwriting. This is an on-campus position located on the Fort Hays State University campus in Hays, Kansas. Forsyth Library actively seeks individuals committed to overcoming historical and divisive biases in our society. Successful candidates are prepared to engage meaningfully with audiences from a wide range of cultures and backgrounds. The position appointment date is July 1, 2021 and the application deadline is May 21, 2021. This position offers a competitive benefit package.
- Creates and enters administrative and descriptive metadata for Forsyth Digital Collections & Archives Online
- Engages in basic research to inform descriptive metadata creation using available library resources
- Enters administrative metadata under the direction of the Digital Curation Librarian
- Creates and enters descriptive metadata in accordance with library and industry standards
- Utilizes specialized library software for metadata creation and entry
- Maintains metadata quality control for Forsyth Digital Collections & Archives Online
- Creates and maintains controlled vocabularies
- Ensures adherence to metadata application profiles
- Ensures proper application of Library of Congress subject headings
- Performs regular metadata quality checks to ensure continued discoverability
- Reviews and revises legacy metadata to ensure compliance with current standards
- Assists with Special Collections & Archives projects
- Works with the University Archivist & Special Collections Librarian, Special Collections Coordinator, and Digital Curation Librarian in identifying materials requiring digital surrogates
- Assists with providing intellectual access to Special Collections & Archives materials through information management software
- Applies basic preservation techniques and follows best practices in handling of Special Collections & Archives materials
- Provides assistance with preparing Special Collections & Archives projects for digitization
- Services on library and university committees as appropriate
- Works on special projects and other duties assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in History, English, or a related field)
- Good written and oral communication skills as demonstrated by the application documents
- Data entry experience
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact Elizabeth Downing-Turner at email@example.com or at (785) 628-5713.
To apply for this job please visit fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.