Website City of Flagstaff
The Deputy Library Director actively supports and upholds the City’s stated mission and values. Under direct supervision of the Library Director, employees of this classification are independently responsible for overseeing departments of the Library, including responsible administrative, professional, managerial and supervisory work. This position assists in directing the activities of the entire library section and serves in the absence of the Director.
- Supervisory: This job has full responsibility for supervision at the program level (hires, directs, schedules, transfers, promotes, rewards, disciplines, and terminates other employees).
- Budgetary: This job has full responsibility for budgeting at the program level including managing the assigned budget and requesting funding for needed items.
- Strategic Planning: This job has full responsibility for strategic planning at the program level including assessing community needs and setting short and long-term goals. This position also has partial responsibility at the section level including providing input on overall library goals.
- Policies/Procedures: This job has full responsibility for policies and procedures at the program level including development, interpretation, and implementation. This position also has full responsibility at the section level and assists with developing, interpreting, and implementing policies and procedures for the entire library.
- Compliance: This job has full responsibility at the program level for ensuring compliance with rules, regulations, policies, and procedures. The position also has full responsibility at the section level for assisting with ensuring compliance in the absence of the Library Director.
- Council Communications: This job has full responsibility for Council communication at the program level including presenting to Council on program level issues.
- Reporting: This job has full responsibility for grant reporting and assisting with statistical reporting at the program level. Keeps Library Director advised of current operations through oral and written reports.Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Works independently under the supervision of the Library Director.
- Oversees the operations of multiple library departments and facilities.
- Oversees the day-to-day operation of libraries, with a focus on public service, policies and procedures.
- Participates in collection development.
- Oversees and provides direction regarding the ordering and discarding of books, CDs, DVDs, periodicals, along with the downloadable collections, and the Archives and locked case collections.
- Assesses library’s needs.
- Makes sure that the planning and implementation of programming or library programs for the public meet library principles, guidelines and the library mission.
- Responsible for data gathering and analysis as well as reporting on whether each library is meeting its goals and objectives.
- Ensures safety and welfare of library users and staff as well as building safety and maintenance.
- Initiates, motivates, and guides staff in creative programming, grant writing ideas and implementation, and teaches effective library practices.
- Collaboration with projects, quality process, improvement initiatives, and system implementation in conjunction with Library IT Department.
- Initiates, prepares and administers grants, fundraising and media releases.
- Manages supervisors of County branches or Flagstaff libraries to ensure the efficient delivery of services to customers and adherence to policy and procedures.
- Cooperates as a team member in performing tasks essential to the achievement of the efficient overall Flagstaff City-Coconino County
- Public Library and the Coconino County Library District functions and operations.
- Maintains a cooperative and communicative relationship with other sections of the library and their programs.
- Represents the main library to affiliate libraries in outlying county areas as necessary.
- Speaks to professional and community groups.
- Manages the supervisors of the Downtown Library departments including Youth Services, Reference, and Circulation
- Departments, along with the supervisor at the East Flagstaff Community Library.
- Responsible for overseeing Flagstaff Libraries safety and maintenance.
- Researches and writes policies and procedures for the Flagstaff Libraries and acts as consultant regarding policies and procedures for branch libraries: Library Bookmobile, Tuba City Public Library, Coconino County Correctional Facility Library, Grand Canyon Community Library, and Forest Lakes Community Library.
- Manages the library adult reference, Arizona reference, Arizona periodicals, maps, and genealogy collections.
- Provides in-depth adult reference in person, by phone, and by mail for internal and external customers.
- Oversees outreach and staff trainings for the Flagstaff Libraries under direction of the Library Director.
- Oversees the coordination of programs, services and activities for all Flagstaff library departments and libraries.
- Participates in citywide records management activities.
- Observes and reports work order needs for Flagstaff Libraries.
- Oversees that promotions for the Flagstaff Libraries are professional and according to library and City policy.
- Oversees the assessment, development, and maintenance for the Flagstaff libraries’ strategic planning for collections, programming, growth, facilities, and projects.
- Four years of progressively responsible public library work.
- Four years of supervisory experience.
- Four years of computer experience including an integrated library system.
- Or any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the above Minimum Requirements.
- Must possess, or obtain upon employment, a valid Arizona driver’s license.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends if necessary.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science.
- Two years of experience in library management.
- One year of grant management experience.
- One year of experience with collection development.
- Experience in multicultural library services.
- Library cataloging experience.
- Some expertise in audio-visual equipment.
- Knowledge about the local community and its resources.
- Knowledge of and experience with collection development/maintenance.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to plan, direct, review, and supervise staff and direct the training and development of employees.
- Considerable knowledge of collection development and assessment.
- Working knowledge of computer technology, library computer software programs, and the ability to instruct library staff and patrons in their use.
- Ability to make independent decisions following established library policy, mission and goals.
- Ability to organize and affect all phases of outreach services and programming.
- Ability to initiate and maintain effective working relationships and partnerships with individuals, all library departments, employees, City and
- County officials, local organizations, agencies, and the public.
- Ability to initiate, plan and facilitate public presentations, and deal effectively with the media.
- Ability to analyze and systematically compile technical and statistical data and prepare comprehensive written and oral reports.
- Ability to make independent decisions following established library policy guidelines.
- Ability to conduct workshops and engage in effective public speaking.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with city and county officials, other employees, the library board, and the general public.
- Ability to analyze and systematically compile technical and statistical data and prepare comprehensive reports.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods, and practices involved in library work.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org