City of Rochester
This is an entry-level position for library school graduates. Employees in this class are expected to learn the specific applications of professional training by the performance of duties under the general supervision of professional librarians in higher level positions. Instructions may be issued at the beginning of each new assignment. Employees in this class are assigned work progressively more difficult as their experience in the field broadens. Supervision may be exercised over Library Assistants, Clerks, Pages and Volunteers. Related work is performed as required.
- Typical Work Activities Provides reference and reader’s advisory services and instruction to library users;
- Performs original cataloging and classification and record editing;
- Performs collection development by recommending titles for purchase and/or deletion;
- Plans and implements library programs for adults or children;
- Compiles bibliographies and functions as subject specialist;
- Performs on-line database searches, and search training;
- Serves as a liaison for library services to community groups or other libraries;
- Designs and produces public relations and library instruction materials;
- Prepares statistical and/or narrative reports, memoranda and correspondence;
- Supervises the work of clerical, paraprofessional and volunteer personnel in assigned tasks;
- Keeps informed of professional developments through participation in professional organizations, system meetings, workshops, continuing education courses and reading professional materials;
- May be assigned to drive the Bookmobile.
Masters degree in Librarianship from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association or recognized by the New York State Education Department as following accepted education practices. Candidates who expect to receive this degree or diploma by August 1, 2020, may participate in the examination. If successful on the examination, you will not be certified for appointment until you have submitted proof of completion of the requirements to the City of Rochester Examination Administration unit. Proof must be submitted no later than 2 (two) months after the completion of your degree or diploma; failure to do so will result in removal of your name from this list.
Applications should be eligible for a New York State Public Librarian’s professional certificate at time of application and should possess the certificate at time of appointment. For information on obtaining a New York State Public Librarian’s Professional certificate, log on to
http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/cert/ or contact the New York State Library Division of Library Development.