Website Silver City Public Library
Plans, organizes, directs and manages all aspects of children’s and young adult library services to meet the objectives identified in library planning documents, and community needs, expressed or perceived. Plans, organizes, and conducts library programs for children and youth
from infancy through age 18.
- Develops and conducts programs for children and young adults and their caregivers and continues current ongoing programs including storytimes, craft programs, a Makerspace (various robotic and STEM learning kits) and gaming (Xbox and Nintendo Switch).
- Maintains the Children’s Room and a newly created Young Adult Room.
- Engages in outreach to schools, daycares and preschools, and other community organizations and agencies that serve children and teens and their caregivers
- Serves as a liaison to community agencies serving children and youth.
- Provides reference and reader advisory services to children, teens, students, teachers and caregivers.
- Develops marketing materials and promotes children’s and teen resources, programs, and services.
- Assists in promoting the library using social media, website maintenance, and email.
- Develops and maintains the children’s and young adult collection including purchasing materials and monitoring purchasing to ensure expenditures fall within set budgets.
- Participates in the development of policies and standards, with regard to collection development and children’s and teen services.
- Assists with providing instruction and training to library staff.
- Develops an orientation program and supervises volunteers in the Children’s and Young Adult Rooms.
- Develops teaching and finding aids for public and staff and creates displays.
- Prepares statistical and narrative reports.
- Works the public service desks, assisting the public especially with technology questions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Prefer a Masters of Library or Information Science or current enrollment in a Masters of Library Science program (may be substituted with equivalent combination of education and experience)
- One year’s experience working with children or young adults, preferably in a public library.
- One year’s general library experience, preferably in a public library.
- Familiarity with children or young adult literature and reference resources.
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Ability to work in a team environment where consultation, flexibility, creativity, collaboration and cooperation are essential
- Able to establish effective interpersonal relations with children and young adults, their caregivers, and other professionals who work with children or youth
- Able to learn trends in children’s and young adult library services and of issues affecting youth and families
- Able to learn about children’s and young adult literature and materials
- Ability to develop, implement, and promote services to children and young adults including continuation of current programming
- Ability to organize tasks and meet deadlines
- Excellent customer service skills
- Good writing and report skills; experience with computers, printers and other library equipment
- Working knowledge of common computer applications including integrated library systems (ILS), Microsoft Office, subscription databases, social media and Internet/database search strategies
- Able to learn online marketing, e-books; able to perform public speaking.
- Ability to speak and read in Spanish is highly desirable.
- Ability to pass drug and alcohol tests.
Application and copies of required license and certification must be submitted to the Town of Silver City, Personnel Office, 101 W. Broadway, Silver City, NM 88061. Applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to (575) 534-6377, or mailed to PO Box 1188, Silver City, NM 88062. Please do not hesitate to contact us here at the Silver City Public Library if you have a question about the application process.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com