Reporting to the Associate Dean for Research & Research Services, the Director of Dibner Library is a leader in Engineering and related programs in NYU’s Division of Libraries, with a primary focus on the in-person and online programs of the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. This tenure-track appointment provides leadership and strategic direction in the development and enhancement of services, programs, collections, and archives that support the research, teaching, and learning in engineering, technology, and entrepreneurship for graduate and undergraduate students at Tandon and other programs on the Brooklyn campus. The Director contributes to the leadership of Research & Research Services and coordinates with engineering, sciences, data services, health sciences, scholarly communications, and other partners throughout the NYU Libraries, including our libraries in Abu Dhabi and Shanghai.
The Director guides the strategic development of the Dibner Library, a full-service operation that includes a Public Services unit, an IT operation, Liaison Librarians, and the Poly Archives. The Director leads efforts to:
- Sustain partnerships with Tandon leadership, academic departments and programs, researchers, student government, and service partners to drive collaboration, responsiveness, and growth of support to our communities.
- Set and manage Dibner Library’s goals, policies, assessment program, and annual budget.
- Collaborate with other Division of Libraries leaders, including the Associate Dean for Collections and Content Strategy and Director of User Experience, to initiate programs and services that benefit the teaching, learning, and research experiences of students and faculty on the Brooklyn campus.
- Work with colleagues in the Libraries and Tandon Development offices to identify and pursue potential donor opportunities.
- Lead efforts to reimagine, redesign, and renovate the physical spaces of the 2-floor Dibner Library, setting and implementing a vision for a 21st-century STEM library facility in the heart of the Brooklyn campus.
Staff development and support
The Director guides the development of the Dibner staff, providing overall leadership for 4-6 faculty, 4-5 non-faculty employees, 2-3 IT specialists, and 25-30 student staff. The Director works with Library Leadership to envision, prioritize, and build a staff that meets the needs of a 21st-century STEM-focused library. This leader puts a premium on:
- Facilitating and supporting collaboration within Dibner Library.
- Developing and coaching professional and administrative staff to create a culture of learning.
- Working to create an environment of inclusion, diversity, belonging, and equity that fosters a workplace culture that values diversity of thought and backgrounds.
- Pursuing their own professional development, contributing at the national level, recognizing trends and opportunities, and using this knowledge to enrich local programs and planning.
NYU Tandon School of Engineering is located in Brooklyn, NY. Eleven academic departments serve a population of approximately 5,500 students, evenly split between graduates and undergraduates.
About NYU Division of Libraries
The Division of Libraries values diversity among its faculty, is committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and strongly encourages applications from members of underrepresented communities. We are proud of our organizational culture and we are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, inclusive, and equitable organization that supports a sense of belonging for the staff and communities we serve. For more see http://library.nyu.edu/about/general/values/, and our Diversity and Inclusion Values Statement, https://library.nyu.edu/about/general/values/diversity-inclusion/
Tenure-track faculty status, attractive benefits package including five weeks annual vacation. Rank based on qualifications. Salary commensurate with experience and background.