Title: Associate or Full Professor (Endowed Chair Alwin C. Carus Special Collections Archivist)
Position Summary: The Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) of Morris Library at Southern Illinois University Carbondale (SIU) seeks applicants for a full time, 12-month, continuing, tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor, with a cross appointment in the School of History and Philosophy and a start date of January 1, 2022. The selected individual’s tenure home would be in Library Affairs. SCRC collects and preserves unique and rare historical materials in selected subject areas and promotes the use of these materials by the SIU community, scholars, and the public. Its goal is to advance scholarship and further the educational, research, and service missions of the university. Visit https://scrc.siu.edu/ to learn more.
Located in a community surrounded by natural beauty next to the Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois, SIU Carbondale’s Morris Library is a modern academic library, filled with natural light and technology-rich, collaborative spaces. A member of the Association of Research Libraries, Morris Library holds more than three million volumes, subscribes to an extensive roster of databases and journals, and boasts four library instruction classrooms. Librarians at SIU Carbondale are faculty and covered by collective bargaining. As a tenure-track faculty member, you will have time to explore your research interests and grow as a professional.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as Archivist for the Open Court Publishing Company Records and its related collections, as well as other collections in philosophy.
- Report on activities and accomplishments with the Open Court Publishing Company Records, the Alwin C. Carus Papers, Hegeler-Carus Family Papers, and other relevant collections.
- Promote SIU collections and topics in American philosophy, such as through online and physical exhibitions, publications and presentations, attendance at conferences and other events, and teaching courses in his/her/their area of expertise.
- Conduct scholarly research/creative activity as part of position and promotion and tenure process.
- Serve on appropriate committees.
- Ph.D. in Archival Management, Humanities, or Social Sciences discipline OR ALA-accredited Masters of Library Science or equivalent international accredited MLS.
- Experience with national standards and best practices in the processing of manuscript, archival, and like materials.
- Knowledge and experience with grant processes and donor relations.
- Demonstrated initiative and commitment to innovative approaches for improving operations and services.
- Experience in the development of special collections and working with collectors and donors.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Documented experience working effectively and cooperatively with staff, colleagues, and a diverse workforce and clientele.
- The ability to work independently and creatively in a rapidly changing work environment.
- A combination of a Ph.D. in Archival Management, Humanities, or Social Sciences discipline AND ALA-accredited Masters of Library Science or equivalent international accredited MLS.
- Experience working with archival materials in the area of American Philosophy in a research setting.
- Record of achievement in the digitization of special collections and record of success in work with digital objects management software.
- Membership in the Academy of Certified Archivists.
- Knowledge of intellectual property and rights management issues.
- Knowledge of preservation practices and standards.
- Minimum five years of experience in special collections, rare books, or archives at a university or non-profit organization with at least two of those years in a position of departmental leadership.
- Record of extensive peer-reviewed research and publication and record of professional service on a national level commensurate with appointment at rank of Professor at SIU Carbondale.
Salary: Southern Illinois University has an established policy not to include salaries in position postings.
Apply online at https://jobs.siu.edu/
Application deadline: 10/15/2021 or until filled
For further information, contact Terri Elliott email@example.com
SIU Carbondale, member of the SIU System, is an anti-racist community that opposes racism, discrimination and inequity in any form, and embraces diversity, inclusion, equity, and justice for all people.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.