Website University of Virginia Library
The University of Virginia Library is seeking qualified applicants for a newly created Programmer/Developer position to support Building the Foundation for a National Finding Aid Network (NAFAN), a two-year research and demonstration project to establish the foundation for a national archival finding aid network.
The California Digital Library (CDL) is the project lead and is working in close collaboration with the University of Virginia Library and OCLC.
Reporting to the Director of Social Networks and Archival Context Cooperative (SNAC), the Programmer/Developer will support the following core project objectives: 1) conduct technical assessments of tools and technology solutions, 2) develop prototype systems to test and demonstrate key network technical functions, and 3) support end-user and contributor research activities.
– Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer engineering, or related discipline with one year of experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Preference will be given to applicants with two or more years of experience
– Advanced skills associated with software design, modification, implementation, and deployment, including object-oriented programming concepts.
– Demonstrated ability to understand functional needs, how systems can support those needs, and the ability to develop data conversion and system implementation plans.
– Knowledge of secure software development and experience with identification and use of code libraries and open-source forums
– Experience with planning for deployment and creation of feedback mechanisms
– Demonstrated software repository skills, testing, and test planning skills.
– Experience with common programming tools and demonstrated ability to follow software specifications.
– Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
– Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Demonstrated ability to learn effectively and meet deadlines
** This is a 2 year restricted position continuation will be dependent on funding and satisfactory performance. **
This position is open to remote work, the individual must reside in the United States.
About the UVA Library: When the University of Virginia was founded in 1819, a library – instead of a chapel – was placed at its center. By today’s standards, this seems common practice. But at a time when universities were structured around the church, this was radical. Today, the University of Virginia’s 12 libraries remain central in its mission to advance human knowledge, educate leaders and cultivate an informed citizenry. Inspired by the collecting policies of the Library of Congress – which emphasizes all subjects are important to leadership of the country – the UVA Library collects, preserves, organizes, and shares materials of all varieties, providing unfettered access to an accumulation of knowledge, two centuries in the making. The Library is the host institution for Social Networks and Archival Context Cooperative, as well as Virginia Heritage, the union catalog of archival resources held by repositories throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia.
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “R0018452”. Complete an application online and see below for documents to attach.
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, “R0018452” complete the application and see below for documents to attach. Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box or you can combine them into one PDF.
Complete an application online and attach:
– Cover Letter
– Contact information for 3 references
***Please note that ALL requested documents MUST be uploaded into the resume/cv section of the application.***
For questions about the application process be contact Rhiannon O’Coin senior recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check at time of offer per University Policy.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person’s perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
To apply for this job please visit uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.