University of California Santa Cruz
The University Library at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) invites applications for the position of STEM Librarian. Under the direction of the Head of Research Support Services, the STEM Librarian will support the Library’s strategic priorities related to access and discovery, research and scholarship, and student success in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
For this position, we seek a user-focused and creative individual to lead the Library in envisioning its role in support of engineering research, teaching, and learning within an equity and inclusion framework. The Library has established STEM support through initiatives and partnerships housed in the Science & Engineering Library, including the STEM Hub, the Digital Scholarship Innovation Studio, and the Video Game Lab, and looks to this position to identify new opportunities and strategies for best engaging with engineering students, faculty, and researchers. We welcome candidates who are seeking to launch a career in science librarianship and/or established STEM librarians seeking professional growth.
The STEM Librarian will serve as the Library’s divisional liaison to the Jack Baskin School of Engineering and, as such, will: lead the Library in developing a clear understanding of the research, curricular, and scholarly communication practices and needs in the School of Engineering; set a strategy for Library support of engineering-related teaching and learning; and spearhead efforts to communicate and engage with the School on behalf of the Library. As a member of the Library’s Research Support Services Department, the incumbent will contribute to departmental services and projects and collaborate closely with the Library’s divisional liaison to the Physical and Biological Sciences Division. The STEM Librarian will be expected to participate on relevant Library project teams, system-wide committees, and professional organizations.
- Knowledge of science, technology, engineering, and/or math information resources as demonstrated by professional experience or coursework.
- Public speaking experience as evidenced in candidate’s curriculum vitae by a list of presentations, workshops, and/or talks conducted in libraries, professional conferences, coursework, or comparable venues.
- Experience managing/leading a project, group project, or program.
- An ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS degree (or equivalent foreign degree) OR a Master’s degree (or equivalent foreign degree) in any field with at least two years of experience providing information, research, teaching, and/or scholarly communication support in a library or other academic setting. It is expected the degree requirement will be completed by September 15, 2021.
- Experience developing and assessing services to support or enhance research, teaching, and/or scholarship;
- Experience teaching STEM undergraduates and developing online learning objects;
- Ability to consult with students/researchers on library resources and research strategies for STEM disciplines;
- Knowledge of ways that minoritized groups have been marginalized in STEM education and strategies for creating inclusive and antiracist learning environments;
- Knowledge of STEM scholarly communication trends and practices including open science, open educational resources (OER), research data management, data carpentries, and science communication; and/or
- Undergraduate or graduate degree or equivalent training/work experience in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics.
Interested applicants are invited to attend an informational webinar to learn more about the position, the campus, and the University Library. Please register using the links provided:
Wednesday, July 21, 2021 from noon – 1:00 pm PT (registration)
Thursday, July 22, 2021 from 6:30 – 7:30 pm PT (registration)
The attendee list will be hidden to ensure confidentiality. Live captioning will be provided via Zoom Live Transcript.
To apply for this job please visit recruit.ucsc.edu.