Website UCLA Law Library
The UCLA Law Library seeks a Reference Librarian to join a team that provides reference and research services at the Law Library, which serves the Law School faculty and students as their basic library and study resource for instruction and research. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are core values of the University of California and key components of the University’s commitment to excellence.
Under the general direction of the Director, Reference & Research Services, Reference Librarians provide a high level of in-depth research assistance to the UCLA Law faculty, staff, and students, including Law School departments and deans. This level of commitment offers the librarian an opportunity to work closely with many different individuals and units within the Law School.
In addition, Reference Librarians supervise faculty research assistants, provide reference desk service, prepare and maintain research guides, and actively participate in the teaching of legal research courses and workshops throughout the year. Reference Librarians may be assigned to an area of concentration or to projects that vary according to library needs and the Librarian’s individual talents and interests. This position may also serve as a liaison to selected deans, department heads, clinics, and/or faculty members. There is the potential for the Librarian to lead the Reference Department’s outreach efforts.
Specific duties and responsibilities may include:
- Provide in-depth research assistance to Law faculty, departments, committees, and students,
- Prepare research memos and provide cite checking and editing services to support faculty research and scholarly projects,
- Serve as library research liaison to selected Law School deans, departments, clinics, programs, and/or faculty,
- Assist in the training of research assistants,
- Provide ongoing support and supervision to a group of research assistants,
- Participate in library orientation programs,
- Prepare and maintain research guides,
- Perform reference desk service,
- Teach legal research classes as needed, including Advanced Legal Research, 1L instruction, undergraduate instruction, LLM/MLS training, journal editor training, research refreshers, and other workshops, clinics, and seminars,
- Work on outreach efforts, such as marketing reference and research services to the law school community and overseeing the social media presence of the reference and research services group,
- Contribute to the profession and represent the UCLA Law Library in the academic, scholarly, and professional community,
- Serve as a member of the Law Library team and work to further the overall goals of the Law Library, and
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school
- Minimum five years’ experience working as a law librarian or as a legal practitioner
- Demonstrated knowledge of legal information sources and related technologies
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications for legal research
- Demonstrated competence in delivering legal research services and knowledge of legal bibliography and scholarly research
- Firm commitment to law librarianship and to a high level of service for faculty and students in a demanding academic environment
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively with library colleagues, faculty, students, and other library users and to contribute to making the library hospitable and responsive to the needs of the Law School community
- Ability to teach in large and small group settings, provide individualized instruction, participate in curriculum development, use a wide range of educational technologies, and contribute to the development of instructional services for faculty, students, and library staff
- Experience supervising research assistants (preferred)
- Experience in outreach and social media (preferred)
To apply for this job please visit recruit.apo.ucla.edu.