Website The Huntington Library
The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens
Manages the Reader Services office, library admissions, and reader registration. Has frequent contact with readers and staff. Supports all functions of the department by managing administrative services, interlibrary loan, and other resources and programs by providing services to readers and contributing to special projects. May work on a flexible and rotating schedule, including Saturdays and evenings. Reports to the Head of Reader Services.
- Co-manage the daily operations of the Reader Services office, ensuring services to readers are provided in a timely fashion. May initiate and document policies and procedures. Assure that first-time visits are coordinated with the Access Services teams.
- Process reader applications and renewals; orient new readers; respond to general public services inquiries. Maintain equitable public service and access policies and communicates those policies to staff and readers.
- Under supervision of the Reader Services Librarian, oversee and process requests and invoices for Interlibrary Loan using WorldShare.
- Manage communications with readers in all formats. Participates in the creation of LibGuides and organizes department documentation. Coordinate the design and branding of all communications both electronic and print. Compile monthly e-newsletter and maintains information regarding events of interest to the scholarly community. Evaluate library interfaces and collects feedback for troubleshooting and improvement.
- Handle department calendaring. Participates in special event planning, tours, and presentations; may liaise with Events, Advancement, and Education.
- Schedule and fills shifts for chat reference, reader registration desks, Ahmanson Reading Room desk, and other virtual services.
- Keep all department documentation current. Identifies opportunities for process improvement.
- Train staff assisting with admissions and registration, and provides them with day-to-day supervision.
- Troubleshoot technical issues with library patron accounts, badging software systems, and printers.
- Answer questions about library procedures and collections via telephone, chat, and email.
- Assist with gathering statistics for reports.
- Other duties as assigned. Reader Services staff must be prepared to back up other staff in providing essential services to the Library’s constituency.
- Accurate, detail-oriented clerical skills, and demonstrated writing skills.
- Ability to relate easily and communicate clearly and tactfully with staff, readers, and the public.
- Understands the essential characteristics of reference service in order to assist, advise, and instruct users in the use of primary resources. Skilled with bibliographic searching and is knowledgeable about reference sources, bibliographical sources, information delivery systems, and access control systems. Familiarity with library access control systems such as Innovative’s Sierra and Aeon highly desired.
- Ability to export data from various systems and familiarity with cleaning, normalizing, and preparing data for inclusion in department reports.
- Experience and/or training with common office applications, such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, CSS/HTML editors, and marketing automation platforms such as Mailchimp.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two or more years of clerical or customer service work experience required
- Two years of library work experience preferred
To apply, submit a cover letter and CV/resume as a single PDF attachment.
To apply for this job please visit huntingtonlibrary.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.