Texas Tech University
To serve the information needs of library clientele in assigned subject area(s) to include liaison, collection development, user instruction and reference activities; must also cooperate and function as part of a team to provide services to all library users. This is an entry-level rank assigned to those beginning their professional careers or those, who upon their appointment, do not meet the criteria of Associate Librarian. Work is performed under general supervision with latitude for individual initiative and judgment. Evaluation of employee performance is based upon accomplishment of defined objectives.
The Texas Tech University Libraries has an opening for a proactive, creative, and inventive Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Librarian at our fast-paced, innovative campus. The primary assignment of this tenure-track position is to provide reference, instruction, and collection development in these areas. Additionally, the STEM librarian will support data and technology initiatives of the University Libraries, work closely with colleagues and students and engage in research and collaborative opportunities. While this position’s focus will be to work with faculty across the STEM disciplines the candidate will be encouraged to seek interdisciplinary research opportunities and connections across campus and throughout the Tech System.
- Actively participate in the library’s instruction and outreach program with a heavy emphasis on promoting information literacy to STEM related disciplines.
- Provide reference services in creative and innovative ways including personal contact with departments and utilizing various technology tools.
- Develop and maintain STEM reference materials in both print and digital forms as well as making specific recommendations to purchase research materials germane to the STEM fields.
- Contribute to chat service and other virtual reference services as needed.
- Maintain as well as enhance web-based research guides pertinent to assigned STEM areas.
- Contribute substantially to the planning, development and assessment of departmental policies.
- Participate on library committees and cross functional teams as assigned.
- Faculty are expected to participate in library, college, and university governance.
- Candidates who have very strong records of scholarship supported by extramural funding and who have the proven capacity or clear potential to bring externally sponsored research to Texas Tech University are encouraged to apply.
- Service duties include program-building, as well as commitment to extra-curricular activities.
- Service to the department, college, university, and community is expected.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program.
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in a STEM field.
- Experience or course work in the use of reference and research tools with special emphasis in STEM fields.
- Evidence of a strong customer service orientation coupled with an ability to interact positively and productively in a collegial academic environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Understanding of current trends and issues in this area, including emerging technologies, institutional repositories and open access textbooks.
- Evidence of ability to meet Texas Tech Libraries’ requirements for promotion and tenure.
- Experience working with diverse student populations and first-generation students is highly desirable. Texas Tech University recently surpassed the Hispanic student population threshold necessary for designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
Please fill out the electronic application and attach a cover letter indicating qualifications and interest in the position, diversity statement, current vita, and names and contact information of three professional references. Submission of applications is preferred by April 23, 2021.
To apply for this job please visit sjobs.brassring.com.