NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Information Science Specialist, JPL Library
Oracle Title: Information Science Graduate Student I
Posting Title: Library Services Summer Internship – Data Citation and Text Mining
Job Family: Information Science
Discipline Description: Institutional Administrative Operations Graduate Student
Career Level: 1
Discipline Code: Information Science Services
The JPL Library serves the information needs of the Lab’s researchers, engineers, technologists, and business professionals. We curate resources and build research connections to grow the knowledge base required for JPL’s mission success. The Library has a physical presence on Lab, and we manage the Hub, the first collaborative space in research/special libraries. With a small staff, we provide a multitude of services and programs, from pilot projects extending into new areas, fundamental library reference and research services, to transforming internal resources into digital formats. This Summer Library Information Science Intern will work with librarians on several projects.
The Data Citation and Text Mining intern will work on the following projects:
- Data Citation: JPL operates the NASA Physical Oceanography Distributed Active Archive Center (PO.DAAC). The PO.DAAC team is interested in finding out how researchers worldwide are using its data and the impact of the PO.DAAC to the science community. This is an emerging area within library & information science, and various organizations are experimenting with different resources and tools. The intern will work with the PO.DAAC team and JPL librarians to extract references and PDF documents citing the use of PO.DAAC data sets, test and evaluate internally developed tools, and help with analyzing citation patterns.
- This intern will also work on the Library’s text-mining project, categorizing entries from the Library staff’s weekly assessment reports, then compiling and analyzing selected metrics. The intern may work on coding and automating some parts of the process as well.
- As an ongoing effort to improve the Library’s BEACON web services, the intern will conduct user experience studies, and implement changes as necessary.
- Other tasks as assigned, including Library user services experience and assisting with Hub events.
- Must be currently enrolled at a 4 year accredited college or university pursuing a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD degree in Library and/or Information Science or related discipline.
- Must be able to work full-time (40hours/week) for 10 weeks over the summer.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA 3.0 out of 4.0
- Must have at least 1 semester or quarter remaining to complete degree
- Demonstrated experience with searching and maintaining structured bibliographic databases
- Familiarity with text or data mining projects and tools
- Demonstrated experience with MS Office (especially MS Excel)
- Familiarity with the scholarly publishing cycle and scientific communication
- Experience with web and UX design; preferably Django platform.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Team player and collaboration skills.
- Fill in the application form online, and in the Comment field, please put in “For AO #9844, Library – Data Citation and Text Mining”
- Students should have a digital version of their resume (PDF, DOC, DOCX, or TXT file) and an unofficial transcript ready for upload
- Deadline for application is April 1, 2019, 5 pm PDT
To apply for this job please visit www.jpl.nasa.gov.