The Deputy Library Director position oversees, directs, and participates in all activities of the Library’s operations, including short- and long-term planning as well as development and administration of departmental policies, procedures, and services; Provides assistance to the Library Director in a variety of administrative, coordinative, analytical, and liaison capacities. The incumbent is accountable for accomplishing departmental planning and operational goals and objectives, and for furthering Library goals and objectives within general policy guidelines. Please complete the required supplemental questionnaire as part of the application process.
- Assumes management responsibilities as assigned by the Library Director. This encompasses Library programs, services, and activities including Adult Services, Youth Services, Collection Services, Branch Services, Information Technology, and Facilities;
- Plans and directs public services, support services, and other library functions; ensures Library operations are running effectively and efficiently.
- Develops, directs, coordinates, monitors, and ensures the implementation of strategic plans, goals, objectives, policies, procedures, priorities, and work standards for the Library, in conjunction with the Library Director.
- Knowledge of administrative principles and practices, including goal setting, program development, implementation, and evaluation, and supervision of staff, either directly or through subordinate levels of supervision.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of strategic plan development, budget administration, contract management and collective bargaining and working in a union environment.
- Develop and implement goals, objectives, practices, policies, procedures, and work standards.
- Provide administrative and professional leadership for the Library.
- Prepare and administer budgets; allocate limited resources and achieve maximum public benefit in a cost-effective manner.
Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (MLIS) or Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) from an accredited college or university, and seven (7) years of increasingly responsible professional library experience in a management or leadership capacity, including three (3) years of experience supervising professional staff. Possession of a valid California Driver’s License, to be maintained throughout employment.
The position will be open until filled with the first review of applications occurring on March 15, 2021 at 5:00 PM. Virtual interviews are tentatively scheduled for April 1st, 2nd & 6th. The application process may contain one or more of the following steps: a supplemental application, written test(s), skills assessment(s), and/or oral examination(s).
To apply for this job please visit www.calopps.org.