The Smithsonian Institution is a diverse museum and research complex dedicated to the increase and diffusion of knowledge. The National Museum of Natural History (NMNH) promotes understanding of the natural world and our place in it and the NMNH Collections Program ensures that 145+ million objects endure for future scientific research and public enjoyment. This position serves as Assistant Registrar in the NMNH Collections Program, Office of the Registrar.
- Prepares and maintains files on the documentation required of transactions, including permits, forms, invoices and confirmation correspondence.
- Arranges domestic and/or international shipments of animal parts and products.
- Assists departments in managing transactions related to acquisition, loan and disposal of museum’s collections.
- Assists in executing inventory plans to verify the status of the museum’s collections.
- Participates in collection acquisitions and loan processes by preparing written justifications, researching potential acquisitions, communicating with vendors, processing acquisitions paperwork, monitoring all phases of payment processing and resolving technical problems related to loan documentation.
- You qualify for this position if you have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position Specialized experience is defined as controlling, documenting, and assessing legal requirements for artifacts, objects, or specimens, handling and documenting incoming and outgoing loans, and performing collections accountability through managing museum’s collections information system and all automated information related to museum objects and collections.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
- Or Education: Two full academic years of progressively higher level graduate education or master’s or equivalent graduate degree related to the position
- Or a Combination: Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications. For a full explanation of this option please see the Qualification Standards.
- Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the “Required Documents” section of this announcement.
To apply for this job please visit www.usajobs.gov.