San Jose State University
The San José State University (SJSU) Library seeks qualified and student-centered candidates for the full-time, tenure-track faculty librarian position of iSchool Liaison with an online learning emphasis. This position is one of three that will be hired in 2021–STEM Librarian, iSchool Librarian, and Scholarly Communications & Digital Scholarship Librarian–providing a supportive cohort to the successful candidate. The Library is striving to increase the diversity of its faculty and encourages all members of underrepresented groups to apply.
This position directly supports the School of Information and oversees the wide and diverse suite of online teaching and learning objects that constitute a significant asynchronous portion of the Library’s instructional program. Experience or coursework in instructional technologies, instructional design, and online learning would be a solid foundation for this position. The position will start in Summer or Fall of 2021.
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree or its equivalent by the time of hire
- Coursework and/or experience incorporating current and emerging technologies into virtual instruction and information services
- Evidence of potential to maintain an ongoing agenda of scholarly research and professional development at appropriate levels
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population, as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively scaffold and instruct users with diverse abilities and needs in both physical and virtual learning environments
- Demonstrated ability to plan, create, maintain, and assess online teaching and learning objects using instructional design principles
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a team in a rapidly changing environment
- Collaborate with SJSU faculty/library liaison teams to assist in the creation, implementation, maintenance, and evaluation of SJSU Library’s wide and diverse suite of online teaching and learning objects, such as web-based tutorials, instructional videos, research guides, and web pages
- Maintain and promote knowledge of emerging trends, best practices, and pedagogical principles in instructional design in an online environment, and provide training as needed
- Engage in the selection and evaluation of resources that support the curricular and research needs of iSchool students, faculty, and programs
- Offer reference, consultative, and instructional services to undergraduate, graduate students and faculty
- Strengthen SJSU library’s online presence and extend the library’s reach by identifying and embedding appropriate materials into the learning management system
- Remain current with trends and strategies in information literacy and instructional technology
- Participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committee and other service assignments.
- Participate in multidisciplinary teams, library governance, professional development activities, and university service
- Build a record of progressive scholarly and professional achievement to fulfill the University requirement of retention, tenure, and promotion
- Address the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials and teaching strategies
For full consideration, submit the following documents by March 7, 2021:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- statement of teaching interests and philosophy that describe the role library instruction plays in supporting student success across a diverse population (1 page)
- research interests/plan (1 page)
- three references with contact information
Potential candidates are invited to attend an informational webinar scheduled for February 10, 2021 from 10-11 PST to learn more about the position, library, or University. Anonymity will be ensured, as the attendee list will be hidden. Further inquiries may be directed to the Search Committee Chair Peggy Cabrera, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Original transcripts of terminal degree will be required of applicants invited to the all-day, virtual interview. Three (3) letters of recommendation will be required for appointment. This position will remain open until filled.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.sjsu.edu.