Website State of Idaho
Be part of an organization that makes History every day! The Idaho State Historical Society is hiring for a Reference Manager. Join a highly motivated team in a fast-paced environment dedicated to inspiring, enriching and engaging all Idahoans by leading the state in preserving, sharing and using history and cultural resources relevant to today to inform and influence the future.
The Reference Manager directs the comprehensive Public Reference Program of the Idaho State Archives, including digital and on-site services for the Merle Wells Research Center, and Lincoln Reading Room. The Reference Manager serves on the Program Manager Team. The Reference Manager will have a schedule of Tuesday through Saturday.
- Manage the comprehensive reference program of the department, providing public access to historical collections and information
- Implement standard operating procedures (SOPs) to provide access to a range of history collections including but not limited to photographs, maps, books, journals, microfilm, manuscript materials, and government records
- Collaborate with Program Managers and Administrator to create standard operating procedures (SOPs) for digital and on-site collections access and operational efficiencies.
- Field and refer research inquiries
- Demonstrate specialized historical research library best practices to optimize collections management and fulfill a variety of reference service requests
- Maintain best practices in accordance with the American Library Association Reference and User Services and the Society of American Archivists
- Coordinate receiving, invoicing, and cataloging of research center resources purchased or donated for the research center holdings including state documents, books, newspapers, journals, maps, microfilm, and materials for the vertical file collection
- Manage OCLC bibliographic record loads for research center resources
- Coordinate collection management projects for research center and map room
- Oversee the research center collection portfolio and reporting of usage statistics required by agency reporting for legislative reports
- Manage ISHS newspaper program to ensure the continuation of the 52-year program of ISHS producing microfilm sets of Idaho newspapers for the research library collection
- Monitor the state contract for the newspaper microfilming program to ensure compliance with state purchasing guidelines
- Lead research and content development of temporary exhibitions in coordination with the Outreach Archivist, Government Records Manager and in consultation with the State Historian.
- Leverage the exhibits of the Merle Wells Research Center including A. Lincoln: His Legacy in Idaho as a state and regional resource
- Develop and implement standard operating procedures for onsite visitor experience.
- Manage KOHA library catalogue and train staff in its use
- Manage ContentDM and train staff in its use
- Collaborate with ISA Program Managers and Administrator to create and execute department strategies and goals in alignment with Agency Strategic Plan
- Maintain knowledge of and provide input to budgets, staffing, training and security
- Liaison for Ancestry.com
- Ensure compliance financial and internal controls of sales and fee-based services through the point-of-sale and financial tracking system.
- Analyzing operational related program issues
- Identifying alternatives, and recommending and implementing solutions
- Interpreting and applying regulations or policies and procedures
- Developing and monitoring a budget
- Collecting and analyzing data and preparing reports
- Supervising staff
- Some knowledge of management practices
- Experience in complex Technical Services work such as original cataloging, vendor selection, or ordering and receiving library materials, etc. OR experience in planning, directing, and managing circulation, reference or reader service activities
- Developing, implementing and evaluating a library project, program or services such as reference services, educational services and/or outreach.
- Librarianship, including applying current (last two years) library trends and technology.
- Providing reference services for historical and gemological research using special collections such as governmental records, manuscripts, photographs and maps.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.