The Netflix Studio Archive is looking for it’s founding member! Do you have a love of history and preservation of objects? Interest in film, tv and media? This is an amazing opportunity to help curate a collection from its infancy phase to become a physical representation and narrative that defines and promotes Netflix Studio as a brand for years to come. The intent of the archive is to be a curated, preserved collection of title-based, screen-used or story based physical objects that can be accessed for research, promotion, display and exhibition in partnership with internal cross-functional and external partners.
We are seeking a senior level individual with extensive knowledge of physical object handling, preservation & conservation practices, collections and exhibition processes and budgeting to build and grow the Netflix Studio physical archive. Love of pop culture, arts and entertainment will be instrumental as the role develops and implements internal workflows and operational infrastructure to identify, curate, catalogue and preserve a collection of physical objects representing Netflix branded titles.
The Archivist will be part of the Physical Asset and Archive team and will be integral in establishing workflows for the identification and selection of key, screen-used physical assets from Netflix branded titles for long-term preservation. The role will advise and manage the intake process of archival assets from production, facilitate requests for outgoing loans & internal partner needs (Awards, PR, Events), and consult on external displays, exhibitions and research as needed. They will engage with cross-functional partners, develop departmental procedures, internal workflows and be responsible for facility management and implementing collection management systems.
An ideal candidate will have a background in archive management, collections management, database control, digital asset management, exhibit curation and design, preservation and research facilitation. They are highly organized, demonstrate leadership abilities, engaged in their field and know how to communicate well in person and via electronics. Interest in entertainment and media is preferred but not required.
- Develop and implement company wide procedures for the acquisition, processing, digitization, and preservation of title-based physical assets
- Appraise current collection and make recommendations for acquisition of new objects and deaccessioning of existing objects
- Develop and maintain digital and asset management workflows
- Organize and streamline complex information utilizing multiple Netflix tools and systems as well as online, department resources to pull missing or absent archival data
- Develop strategies and implement policies and standards for the archive by hiring, supervising and training additional staff, as appropriate
- Advise and assist in the use of archival objects in marketing, PR and event activities
- Consult on exhibits, publications, presentations, instructional sessions, and other outreach activities as needed
- Develop documentation and reporting process for all archival object loans (loan agreements, condition reports, COIs, and pro forma invoices)
- Onsite travel, coordination and oversight as needed
- Coordinate documentation and logistics for outgoing loans (object handling, packing, shipping, insurance, preparation, courier responsibilities, security, condition reporting) and install/de-install planning and coordination
- Any other duties as necessary to support the productions and the growth of the department
- 10+ years experience in archive management or development of archival management procedures. Experience with 3D collections preferred
- Experience in large scale data migration (metadata, assets, etc.)
- A strong understanding of digital asset management systems, both front and back end (and the willingness to learn a new one and another new one)
- Masters in Library & Information Sciences (relevant, commensurate experience will be considered)
- Ability to supervise multiple projects in a fast paced environment
- Strategic thinker with the ability to be flexible in the role as needed Access to and knowledge of archival vendors, systems, and peer contacts
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to take educated risks and think out of the box
- Willingness to contribute effectively and transparently; adapting and embracing change with enthusiasm
To apply for this job please visit jobs.netflix.com.