Website Medical University of South Carolina
Title: Research and Education Informationist/Librarian
Department: ACADEMIC AFFAIRS – Provost Office
Sub Department: Library
Location: Charleston, SC – Main Campus
Work type: Full-Time
Employee Type: UNIV – Faculty
Categories: Faculty & Physicians
The MUSC Libraries seeks an energetic, collaborative, and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Research and Education Informationist. The Research and Education Informationist will provide research and knowledge management services to students and teaching, clinical, and research faculty from the College of Pharmacy. This position reports to the Associate Director of Libraries and will work in a flexible, team-oriented, highly collaborative environment. A broad scope of work and activities are within this position, including expert search services, teaching and education, research consultations, and community engagement to MUSC students, faculty, and staff in the health sciences.
Reference and Research
Provide high quality reference and research support to teaching, clinical, and research faculty in response to their information needs to support education, grant preparation, clinical care delivery, and research.
- Provide in-depth and on-demand research consultation services for individuals and small groups
- Provide expert search services for systematic reviews and other intensive research projects
- Collaborate with library systems team to maintain and improve the library web presence, expand technical capabilities of staff and program, develop new technology-based services, and plan for future directions
- Work with the Resources Management Services (RMS) team to evaluate and recommend information resources, synchronizing the Library’s collections, web, and electronic health record presence with clinical, research, and educational needs
- Perform general reference duties: answer reference questions, conduct expert literature searches, consult on faculty publications and presentations, meet with faculty to assist with their research
Teaching and Education
In collaboration with the Associate Director of Libraries and the Research and Education Services team, plan and implement strategies for integrating the library’s expertise, resources, and services into education, research, and clinical care.
- Guide faculty, staff, and students in the effective use of library services and resources to support evidence based practice
- Design and teach curriculum-integrated instruction sessions in person and virtual learning environments
- Apply adult learning theories, principles, and practices to support teaching and learning
- Develop and maintain webpages and LibGuides for specific disciplines and subjects
- Create online tutorials focused on resources and information skills in support of distant students and just-in-time training
- Participate in planning and presenting in-person and online library instruction programs and activities, including new student/faculty orientation, information resource tutorials, and participation in university wide events
- Plan and participate in university events such as student and faculty orientations, and other outreach activities
- Participate in faculty meetings, retreats, and other meetings as appropriate
Serve as liaison to students, faculty, and staff for education, outreach, instruction, research, and collection services for assigned disciplines.
- Provide client-centered services including teaching and instruction, reference and research support, and collection development
- Serve as primary point of contact for faculty and students in assigned liaison areas to ensure coordination of services, and to meet curricular needs
- Cultivate relationships through campus engagement, and actively work towards establishing productive relationships with departmental faculty, staff, and students in order to integrate the library’s resources in curricula and research projects
- Seek opportunities to collaborate and establish partnerships with faculty members and departments within the liaison school
- Develop outreach activities and communication to promote library resources and services
- Actively participate in the academic life of the university, represent the library on university committees and build collaborative and inclusive relationships throughout the university and clinical enterprise
- Actively participate in professional activities through presentations or publications regarding innovative library practice or programs in health sciences libraries using principles of evidence-based library and information practice (EBLIP)
- Pursue professional development opportunities and maintain awareness of evolving trends in library and information science
- ALA-accredited Masters degree in Library Science
- Experience in evidence based teaching and practice
- Experience working with and knowledge of clinical and biomedical research resources.
- Experience using one or more bibliographic formatting programs, e.g. RefWorks and EndNote.
- Experience teaching adults using emerging technologies and instructional methods
- Experience providing reference services and group instruction, preferably in a health sciences library setting.
- Experience in a setting where traditional, place-centered services and electronic information access services are integrated
- Experience in leading committees, and in project design and implementation
- Demonstrated experience and facility implementing and maintaining technology in providing library services
- Demonstrated experience in developing and providing both in person and virtual education sessions
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Attributes
- Knowledgeable about technology (theoretical and skills-based) and applying it to improve services
- Knowledgeable about the concepts of information literacy, including an in-depth understanding of Evidence Based Practice (EBP)
- Knowledgeable about the concepts of information organization, storage, retrieval and transfer, including the application of computer, instructional, and other information management technologies
- Knowledge of issues and trends in higher education including instructional technologies and academic scholarly publishing
- Knowledgeable about best practices in the provision of liaison services to academic units
- Knowledgeable about evidence-based library and information practice (EBLIP)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact, work in, and lead teams; consensus building skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision making skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively across organizational lines and in collaboration with colleagues throughout the University to build strong relationships
- Ability to provide leadership and to work effectively with diverse groups, creating an environment of mutual respect
- Ability to work effectively in a changing organizational and technological environment
- Ability to innovate and to proactively advocate new opportunities and challenges
- Advanced bibliographic expertise in searching and managing information
- Commitment to execution and results orientation
- Strong commitment to quality service
- Proven commitment to professional development and continuous learning.
- Commitment to continued professional growth and active participation in professional activities and service
- Strategic visioning and planning for new and emerging technologies in an academic health sciences library environment
- Program assessment and evaluation: gathering and utilize ongoing feedback of services
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please apply online at;
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer, promoting workplace diversity. m/f/v/d
For further information and clarification of this position please inquire to Ms. Heather Holmes via e-mail email@example.com or telephone 843 792-0065.