City of Santa Fe
Manages, supervises, and oversees operations in a library section within the Library System. Works under the general guidance and direction of Library Services Director. Provides close to general supervision to staff.
- Oversees and manages a section within the Library System (Library Programs, Circulation, Reference, etc.).
- Assists in the development of library section policies; develops and implements procedures; communicates policies to staff and patrons.
- Provides assistance to the public and staff on the use of reference sources, including computer catalog and indices and on-line resources.
- Stays current on new informational resources.
- Works on the reference desk answering questions and instructing patrons in the use of library resources using a variety of tools such as on-line services, print materials, computer catalog, CD-Rom products, etc. Interprets and enforces library rules and policies.
- Trains patrons in library use and reference tools.
- Oversees physical conditions of building and equipment in area of assignment.
- May be assigned to work in one or more sections of the Library system.
- Reviews, develops, and/or modifies work plans, methods, and procedures, determines work priorities, develops work schedules to provide adequate staff coverage, and approves leave and timesheets. Provides work instruction, assists employees with difficult and/or unusual assignments, and encourages innovation. Assigns and distributes work, reviews work for accuracy and completeness, and returns assignments with recommendations for proper completion.
- Conducts hiring interviews and selects candidate(s) for job opening(s).
- Resolves problems, mediates conflicts encountered during daily operations, determines appropriate solutions, and promotes teamwork. Encourages regular communication and informs staff of relevant business issues and their impact on the organization.
- Develops goals, documents performance, provides performance feedback and formally evaluates the work of the employee; provides reward and recognition for proper and efficient performance. Assists staff to achieve performance standards and identifies opportunities for continual improvement to performance standards.
- Ensures quality, effectiveness, and efficiency of unit activities and safety measures.
- Documents causes for disciplinary action, initiates letters of reprimand, and makes formal recommendations for disciplinary action.
- Responds to formal and informal employee grievances and prepares written responses.
- Develops and manages the budget for the work function(s) and allocates funds within the budget to accomplish objectives.
- Ensures procurement, contractual, and financial activities are compliant with the City’s finance, accounting, and procurement policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- AND Four (4) years of work experience in assigned area or Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS) plus two (2) years of professional library experience in circulation, reference or youth services, or collection management.
- AND Must have supervisory experience totaling one (1) year.
- AND Previous experience working with the public and general knowledge of computers is required.
- OR An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Leadership skills including the ability to plan, implement and influence others.
- Knowledge of professional library principles, methods and practices.
- Current knowledge of trends in libraries.
- Excellent communication skills necessary to establish and maintain good working relationships with library staff and customers; able to communicate well with people of all ages, demographics, ethnic backgrounds and ability levels.
- Problem solving skills with the ability to ease tense situations. Supervisory skills including scheduling work and managing performance.
- Strong computer skills with the ability to quickly learn and use a variety of computer equipment /programs, digital devices, e-resources and new technologies.
- Ability to provide efficient, courteous public service and present a positive image of the library in attitude, appearance, and performance of duties.
- Ability to apply policies and use independent judgment within procedural boundaries.
- Ability to function under flexible and changing conditions.
- Ability to type is required.
- Ability to present information clearly concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with associates and the public.
To apply for this job please visit santafenm.munisselfservice.com.