Winfield Public Library
Winfield Public Library Director
Winfield Public Library, located in south central Kansas, seeks an innovative, energetic, and collaborative individual to serve as its next Library Director. The Library is a member of the South Central Kansas Library System (www.sckls.info) and serves thousands of people in Winfield, KS plus surrounding area. It is a place where all are made welcome.
The Library Director carries out the mission of the library under the general direction of the Library Board of Trustees, providing strategic leadership in planning, organizing and directing services and activities to meet community needs. A full job description can be found at the Library’s website at www.wpl.org.
About the Library
The Winfield Public Library, with a yearly budget exceeding $600,000, was newly renovated in 2016, is well trafficked with patronage counts averaging 250 daily visits, and well supported by the community in its role as the community learning hub. Library staff actively seeks and participates in various community collaborations, coalitions, and initiatives. The library has a long tradition of fostering partnerships with local nonprofits, businesses, the school district, college and other learning institutions, healthcare, fine arts, government, and area service organizations. WPL was a recent recipient of the “Chamber Champion” award, and has an impressive history of providing unique learning opportunities by securing and hosting compelling exhibitions including national and statewide traveling exhibits. Through its resources of community, facility, staff, and partnerships, the Winfield Public Library demonstrates it is “the little library that can”.
About the Community
Located within an hour’s drive of Wichita, KS, Winfield, pop. 12,000, is a progressive-conservative, multicultural, vibrant, and active community that is well known for its opportunities, community events, beautiful parks, and small town living. Comforts and advantages include accessible schools, recreation opportunities, concerts in the park, fine arts, unique and friendly businesses, local coffee shop, dog park, farmer’s market, public pool, and a safe and friendly atmosphere. Winfield is home to Southwestern College, William Newton Memorial Hospital, the annual Walnut Valley Festival (of international bluegrass music fame), the annual Isle of Lights (a community-driven, destination-worthy Christmas lighting display), the Cowley County Fairgrounds, and the Broadway Sports Complex. Located on the northeastern side of the community, on the campus known as Baden Square (formally St. John’s College), the library neighbors the Winfield Arts and Humanities, the Winfield Recreation Center, Winfield Community Theater, and residential housing apartment complexes.
POSITION TITLE: Library Director
REPORTS TO: Winfield Public Library Board of Directors
The Library Director acts as the chief executive officer of the Library responsible for the efficient management of all Library operations.
- Creates and recommends to the Library Board policies concerning the philosophy and mission of the library and develops procedures and programs that support such statements.
- Prepares and monitors annual budget and salary increases for Board approval.
- Directs fund-raising and grant writing efforts.
- Demonstrates leadership through participation in professional organizations (i.e. KLA, SCKLS, ALA) and through participation in local organizations (i.e. Chamber of Commerce).
- Responsible for all local and state reports concerning the operation of the library.
- Hires, supervises and evaluates all library staff.
- Responsible for compliance with legal requirements affecting the operation of the library.
- Manages all aspects of collection development.
- Provides necessary opportunities for continuing education of library staff.
- Maintains professional knowledge about current technology, management and library issues.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCES AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Holds an M.L.S. from an American Library Association accredited university.
- Has three years of professional library experience, including three years of supervisory responsibility.
- Possesses current knowledge of computers, ILS systems, electronic information technology, data management and its use in libraries.
- Exhibits significant problem solving and organizational skills necessary to coordinate multiple projects/programs and the ability to work under pressure of deadlines and changing priorities.
- Demonstrates grant writing experience and some experience with fund-raising.
- Is able to represent library at local, state and national functions.
- Demonstrates a public services/support attitude to effectively meet, communicate with and serve the public.
This position is operated in an “office” environment and requires the ability to handle informational items and boxes up to 25 lbs; to pull/push book carts and the ability to reach items on high and low shelves. This is an exempt position as defined by the Labor Standards Act.
Salary range for the position is $60,000-$86,000 with a benefit package that includes Kansas Public Employees Retirement System, sick leave, health insurance and vacation leave. Pay will be determined by education and experience. This is a regular full-time salaried position, exempt for purposes of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The Winfield Public Library Director recruitment is open until Jan. 21, 2021. The Winfield Public Library values diversity in the workforce and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applicants that are finalists must successfully complete health and physical screenings, including drug and alcohol screening, a background check, a credit check and must have or be able to obtain a Kansas Drivers License.
To apply please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com .
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org