Pasadena Public Library
- The Library and Information Services Department is looking for an energetic, creative and passionate individual to join our team of Librarians. The Pasadena Public Library provides an array of services for all age groups and is a source of information and learning that fosters dynamic and healthy communities. Come join our team!
The Librarian will plan, supervise and review the work of paraprofessionals and support staff and is responsible for the administration and maintenance of a major unit within a library service area such as collections, circulation, or youth programs. The ideal candidate will be able to balance the needs of the library branch they serve while maintaining a focus on the big picture needs of the library system as a whole.
The current vacancy is in our Public Services Division of the Department of Libraries and Information Services.
- Essential Functions
- The following list represent some of the essential functions of the position. For more detailed information, please click here for the: job description.
- Assist the public in the effective use of library facilities, equipment, services and other resources.
- Respond to a variety of general and complex inquiries via phone, personal computer or in-person.
- Perform research and reference assistance by accessing a broad range of resources including printed material, online databases, and other authoritative resources.
- Assist in planning, implementing and evaluating programs and services.
- Assist in reviewing, modifying and implementing library procedures and work processes.
- Prepare and update program documentation, user procedures and instructions.
- Assist in creating, developing, and managing the library’s virtual services and digital resources, including but not limited to social media, online videos, and virtual reference.
- Stay abreast of current and emerging library practices and emerging technologies through professional reading, attendance at webinars, trainings, conferences and participating in professional organizations.
- Develop resource lists, subject/materials guides and promotional displays.
- Extend the library’s reach into the community through collaborative partnerships and outreach programs and services.
- Train, evaluate and direct the activities of assigned staff.
- Supervise and/or lead responsibilities in the absence of the Senior Librarian.
- Provide professional readers’ advisory services to the public in-person and online.
- Qualification Guidelines
- COMPETENCIES :
The following list represents some of the core competencies for success in this position.
- Innovation – Imagining and devising new and better ways of doing things
- Informing – Proactively obtaining and sharing information
- Customer Focus – Attending to the needs and expectation of customers
- Managing Performance – Ensuring superior individual and group performance
- Teamwork – Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals
- Critical Thinking – Analytically and logically evaluating information, propositions, and claims
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s Degree in Library and/or Information Science; an equivalent combination of library experience, education and/or training may substitute for the Master’s Degree, such as graduation from a four year college or university plus 24 semester units of library science.
Bilingual- Spanish highly preferred
Applicants who, based on their application, are deemed to be best qualified will be invited to any combination of an interview panel, and department-level interviews designed to assess their job related experience, education, knowledge, skills and abilities.
There is currently one (1) vacancy in the Libraries and Information Services Department.
The resulting eligibility list from this recruitment may be used to fill this vacancy and similar vacancies in the future.
Candidates selected for this position are subject to a one year probationary work period.
- Special Requirements
Must possess a valid California Class C driver’s license and comply with the City’s Motor Vehicle Safety Policy during the course of employment.
- City of Pasadena
100 N. Garfield Ave., Rm S135
P. O. Box 7115
Pasadena, California, 91109-7215
- (626) 744-4366