L.A. Louver, one of the longest established contemporary art galleries in Southern California, is seeking a part-time Archive Intern for its active library and archive. The candidate will assist with one or more of the archive’s main, ongoing projects including processing portions of an extensive historical file and correspondence collection, a material rehousing project, and a special library project.
This in an excellent opportunity for an aspiring art or archives professional with an interest in books, reference work, and the inner world of contemporary art dealing. The ideal candidate will be a detail- oriented problem solver that is curious, asks plenty of questions, and enjoys thinking out loud as part of team, but who can also sustain interest and focus while working on a detail-rich project over time.
- Processing documents for integration into extensive archive collection
- Creating and editing database fields in Microsoft Excel
- Arranging, describing and rehousing of delicate and/or fragile archival materials, including press clippings, documents, and various photographic media.
- Assisting in processing incoming materials, including books, press, and other media into appropriate collections
- Assisting in catalogue and retail inventory upkeep
- Participating in collection research activities including document and photography retrieval and scanning
- Performing basic preservation measures pertaining to paper materials
- Assisting in other tasks and projects based on the needs of the archive and the interests and strengths of the candidate
- Current or recent graduate of a B.A. in relevant field (art, art history) or M.L.I.S degree
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented; excellent research skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds
- Must be able to climb and perform duties on a ten-foot ladder
- Demonstrated experience in an archive or library environment would be a plus.
The candidate will primarily work out of our Los Angeles warehouse, with scheduled visits to our Venice Beach location, as needed. This is a temporary, part-time position of 28 hours/week, schedule to be determined, with room for growth. The starting rate of pay is $15 per hour.
Please submit your letter of interest and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com