Website L.A. Louver Gallery
One of the longest established contemporary art galleries on the West Coast, L.A. Louver seeks a full-time Gallery Archivist to lead its extensive and active archive, which is distinguished by collections and materials that reflect the gallery’s activities since its founding in 1975.
This is a unique opportunity for an archivist with demonstrated professional experience in art archives or libraries to manage extensive daily operations and tasks, oversee structure and ongoing organization, lead initiatives, and set policy.
The position requires excellent organizational, analytical and research skills, exceptional literacy, a comprehensive interest in contemporary art and art history, and high proficiency in digital imaging and Web technologies. The Gallery Archivist must be able to work independently and collaboratively, and have superb communication and interpersonal skills.
The Gallery Archivist will have the following areas of responsibility:
· Manage and care for historical and special collections
· Receive and process contemporary digital and print materials into collections, including gallery business records and correspondence; newspapers, art magazines and periodicals; books; ephemera
· Respond to research inquiries utilizing archive and library assets as resources, including sales-related requests, directors’ requests, and requests from external researchers
· Manage archive workflow between two locations: Los Angeles warehouse and Venice Beach gallery
· Hire, train and oversee archive interns
· Implement special research, media and curatorial projects
· Manage and care for two libraries: an artist-focused Artist Library and General Arts Library
· Order books of interest related to gallery artists or gallery research interests
· Ensure receipt and proper processing of all new publications into library collections in a timely manner
· Circulate and route books to gallery directors and staff, as needed
SALEABLE CATALOGUE AND MERCHANDISE INVENTORY MANAGEMENT
· Work with gallery receptionist to maintain publication inventory at gallery, coordinating between warehouse, gallery, and offsite storage
· Work with gallery receptionist and webmaster, manage Shopify e-commerce page on website ensuring item availability, price revisions, and addition of new inventory materials and descriptions
ARTIST-RELATED UPKEEP AND MANAGEMENT
· Maintain artist CVs, biographies, and statements
· Field press related to artists daily (digital and print), saving in and to appropriate format(s) and repositories, and integrating into gallery communications as needed
· Exhibition updates: liaise with webmaster for website updates and circulate to team and directors
· Request and maintain images, installation photography, checklists, and press releases for artists’ exhibitions elsewhere for archive
ARTWORK INVENTORY RECORD MANAGEMENT
· Provenance/literature/exhibition history management in artwork database records in coordination with registrar and gallery directors including works in current exhibitions, on loan, as well as updates reflecting newly discovered historical data
IMAGE REPRODUCTION REQUESTS MANAGEMENT
· Receive and process all image reproduction requests according to set protocols for each artist/estate/collection, liaising with directors and artists
· Provide concise image captions and credit lines
· Source and provide high-resolution images
· Track publications to ensure receipt of courtesy copies and forwarding copies to artists/studios/estates
· Meticulously document and track image requests / forthcoming publications
· Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science, with an art history background, is preferred
· Two or more years of experience in an archive or art library environment
· Must be able to lift 50 pounds
· Skills: File Maker Pro, Adobe Photoshop/Acrobat
This is a full-time (Monday-Friday), salaried staff position with benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid vacation and sick leave.
The Gallery Archivist will be based in L.A. Louver’s warehouse and archive facility located in mid-city Los Angeles, but will also be responsible to work out of the Venice Beach gallery as responsibilities and projects require.
No relocation support is available.
Please submit a resume and cover letter in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls or walk-ins, please.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com