The IUB Libraries seek a knowledgeable, collaborative, and team-oriented Media Archivist to work within the IU Libraries Moving Image Archive (IULMIA) to preserve and provide access to the collections.
The successful candidate will be joining a thriving Moving Image Archive that: actively collects and preserves our moving image heritage; supports Bloomington campus curriculum and student projects; creates and assists with training and education efforts; collaborates on global media preservation initiatives; oversees and manages the Media Digitization and Preservation Initiative for film and is a destination for international research projects. Reporting to the Director of the Moving Image Archive, the Media Archivist will process collections and will work with researchers and faculty to provide access to collections. Through active participation in professional programs and organizations related to moving image preservation, this position will provide leadership within the archive and within the field.
The Indiana University Bloomington Libraries supports a safe and inclusive environment for all members of our diverse communities. We are committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
- Inventory, inspect, and prepare new and existing collections for long term storage, digitization, loan requests, and for researcher and student use.
- Contribute to the design of efficient workflows that follow archival practices and standards and assist in overseeing the student workers and training them in archival practice, media history, and preservation.
- Serve as part of archival team that will move film collections from one storage vault to another (~150,000 items) in a four-year time frame.
- Oversee management of all of the films in advanced stages of deterioration in the freezer and the conservation of these films.
- Assist researchers and students with archival viewings, both on site and online and serve as a reference for researcher and loan requests.
- Serve as a liaison to campus units and departments and assist with incorporating the collections into curriculum across a wide range of disciplines.
- Assist with making all recently digitized material available online by evaluating for best copy (of digital files) and assessing legal status prior to moving to IU Media Collections Online. (Approx. 40,000 items)
- Assist with maintenance of online exhibits, the web sites, and social media of the Moving Image Archive.
- Promote the Libraries’ culture of diversity and inclusion, and support the values outlined in the Libraries’ Diversity Strategic Plan.
- Contribute to developments in the field of moving image archiving through active professional engagement and research, presenting and publishing in appropriate venues, and by serving as representative on special committees and task forces organized by professional associations.
- ALA-accredited graduate degree in library or information science; candidates with advanced degree in a relevant subject area and appropriate experience in academic setting will also be considered.
- Demonstrated knowledge in handling, inspecting, and identifying motion picture film and other media.
- Demonstrated knowledge of film and media preservation required.
- Knowledge of media digitization process, best practices, and workflows.
- Knowledge of basic metadata and cataloging schema for moving image material.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and presentation skills.
- Understand and promote the Libraries’ culture of diversity and inclusion, and support the values outlined in the Libraries Strategic Plan, and the Libraries’ Diversity Strategic Plan.
- Ability to meet the requirements of a tenure-track position at the IU Libraries. (https://libraries.indiana.edu/file/promotion-and-tenure-criteria-iub-li…)
- Experience in teaching or instruction. (preferred)
To apply for this job please visit indiana.peopleadmin.com.