Website Heritage Auctions
Find the perfect opportunity to demonstrate your advanced bibliographical research and cataloging abilities by applying your real-world book trade or Special Collections knowledge and experience in our unique environment! Set your sights on a career at Heritage Auctions, headquartered in Dallas, Texas, with offices in New York, Chicago, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, London, Hong Kong, and other cities. Heritage Auctions is the 3rd largest auction house in the world with 40 different Auction categories including, Coins, Sports, Comics, Historical, Jewelry, Fine & Decorative Art, Wine, and many more.
Our Rare Books Department is seeking an Advanced Rare Book Cataloger to write bibliographically accurate descriptions of rare books, manuscripts, prints, maps, and related printed collectible materials for the preparation of auction catalogs.
- Create advanced catalog descriptions of rare books, historical manuscripts, prints, maps, and related materials for upcoming auctions in the Rare Books department
- Effectively research and make inquiries necessary to gather and confirm factual information for descriptions
- Apply detailed knowledge of bibliographical references, collations and formats, and provenance research in addition to identifying antiquarian (15th-19th-Century) book-making techniques including types of paper, watermarks, illuminated manuscripts, leathers and vellums, bookbindings, fore-edge paintings, embroidered bindings, color-plate books, copper-plate engravings, etchings, and woodblocks
- Proof/edit description text and review images for catalog production
- Prioritize lots based on estimated values and determine the appropriate length of associated description copy
- Work with prospective bidders to help answer questions about lots as potential purchases
- Able to lift boxes of material, up to 50 pounds
- Travel possible for auctions, book fairs, etc.
- Library degree (or commensurate experience) is a must; Bachelor’s degree required; major in English or History a plus; Advanced degrees a plus
- Five years or more Experience cataloging for Rare Book Seller specializing in Antiquarian books; Special Collections department in a
- University Library, Research Library, or other higher Library setting (Cataloging standard Rare Books)
- Possess advanced knowledge of bibliographic texts (reference books) and techniques
- Demonstrate experience specifically with incunables and early printed books
- Proficient in a foreign language a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, specifically Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Ability to multitask and pay great attention to detail
- Demonstrated prioritization skills and ability to meet deadlines in a hectic and dynamic environment
- Works well independently and in a team environment
- Individual must be able to work independently and manage productivity to meet tight turnaround deadlines.
To apply for this job please visit hcc.catsone.com.