Website The Getty
In Getty Digital, the Collection & Content Management Systems (CCMS) team work with Getty Programs and departments through the administration of a suite of data management systems, technical project management, and digital preservation activities. We are seeking an Associate IT Project Manager to join the CCMS team to help manage our assets and ensure they are preserved for future use.
This position manages, coordinates, and carries out technical aspects of projects related to digital asset metadata management and digital preservation. This position reports to the IT Project Manager in charge of our digital asset management (DAM) system, namely OpenText’s Media Management, and works closely with the Digital Preservation Manager. Additionally, the Associate IT Project Manager will work with technical and content-focused teams across the organization. This is an opportunity for an information professional with a deep interest in cultural heritage metadata, preservation, and systems who also possesses excellent communication skills, attention to detail, the ability to work with little supervision, keen research abilities, and a desire to continuously learn and expand their skill set.
The J. Paul Getty Trust, one of the most prestigious cultural heritage organizations in the world, is dedicated to furthering the study of the history of art, advancing conservation practice, and promoting public knowledge and appreciation of art. Our dynamic and beautiful campus is filled with art, archives and special collections, and a world-class research library. We offer paid vacation, every other Friday off, excellent benefits, and a strong dedication to balancing work and personal life. Due to COVID, the Getty campus is currently closed to non-essential staff members. This position will begin as a work-from-home position; this is not a permanent remote assignment. The successful candidate must be a California resident when employment begins.
- Performs project management oversight for small projects or tasks within larger projects related to asset management and digital preservation
- Conducts research on best practices, standards and case studies related to asset management and digital preservation
- Assists with evaluation of current DAM metadata practices in preparation for metadata reconciliation project
- Coordinates stakeholders to evaluate asset management needs and implements changes
- Assists with ad hoc and ongoing preservation-related tasks including file format validation and migration, technical metadata extraction, fixity checks, and storage management
- Troubleshoots issues with capturing the Getty website and related sites using tools such as Archive-It and Conifer
- Participates in work across the institution to encourage and assist staff to plan for the long-term management of the digital content they produce by implementing workflows to move that content into repositories
- Participates in advocacy/training efforts to educate staff on asset/data management and digital preservation concepts and processes
- Assists with the documentation of policies and procedures, and systems information
- Oversees regularly scheduled tasks and processes (i.e., metadata validation)
- Performs metadata enhancements and transformations
- Produces reports and analyzes statistics to inform metadata and system enhancements
- May organize and conduct project meetings
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or a combination of education and relevant experience. Master’s degree in library and information science preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressive software analysis, development and implementation experience
- 0-2 years IT project management experience
- Experience working with collection management systems in the cultural heritage domain. Direct experience with Media Management (DAM) and Rosetta (digital preservation system) is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge of museum, library, and archival practice, and metadata standards
- Experience remediating metadata, creating metadata profiles, and developing taxonomies
- General knowledge of web technologies. Web archiving experience using tools like Archive-It preferred
- Strong knowledge of general digital preservation concepts and willingness to keep up-to-date on advancements in the field
- Familiarity with file characterization and preservation validation tools. Experience with Jhove, mediainfo and DROID preferred.
- Interest in developing technical and project management skills
- Ability to learn new technologies and tools quickly as needed
- Strong communication skills and ability to manage others
- Creative problem-solving
- Skilled at documentation
To apply for this job please visit jobs-getty.icims.com.