Website Wicomico Public Library
Innovate Educate and Inspire as the Wicomico Public Libraries’ next Executive Director. The Library’s new ED will value communication and collaboration with staff, the Board of Trustees, Library partners, and Wicomico County residents and provide vision and leadership to the Library throughout the County. Governed by an eleven-member Board of Trustees, the Library serves 102,577 people through three locations, a bookmobile and an outreach van. Working with 53 talented library staff and a $2.6 million annual budget, the Library will continue its focus on excellent customer service and broadening outreach services. Key initiatives include charting a clear course for welcoming and inclusive library programs and services; developing a new three-year plan for the Library; and becoming the recognized ‘face’ of the Library within the community while building positive relationships with stakeholders, staff, Board, and public officials. A key component of this position is fostering trust and teamwork. The starting salary range is $85,000– $95,000 commensurate with experience and includes a competitive benefits package.
The Executive Director, reporting to the Board of Trustees, oversees an award-winning library system and provides overall strategic and operational leadership with full responsibility for, but not limited to, the following areas: personnel and fiscal management; marketing and communications; fundraising and development; emergent technologies; facilities; and external partnership development through engagement with key stakeholder groups. For a complete description of responsibilities, see the full Position Description (https://www.bradburymiller.com/wicomicojobdesc.pdf).
- Master of Library Science degree from an American Library Association accredited program.
- Five years progressively responsible public library experience, with proven experience working in a senior management capacity, including budget and finance, facilities management, library automation and personnel administration.
- Current Maryland State Department of Education certification as Public Library Director, with recertification as necessary, or ability to obtain certification with six months of hire.
- Interest in and knowledge regarding current trends and legislation related to libraries.
- Ability to work independently, exercise considerable judgment in dealing effectively with diverse constituencies, resolve conflict situations in a calm and constructive manner.
- Experience with maintaining a work culture that fosters teamwork and cooperation in order to utilize staff abilities and creativity to the fullest.
- Skill in communicating with library patrons, staff, Library Board members, members of the public, local and state legislators.
- Ability to communicate in testimony to public bodies, and with print, online, radio, or television media.
- Ability to develop visionary and creative yet realistic plans, within financial limitations.
Apply via email with a meaningful cover letter and resume as Word or PDF attachments to Karen Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org.