Website Dougherty County Public Library
Employee in this position is responsible for planning, organization, management, and administration of the Dougherty County Library System. Must have demonstrated knowledge of multi-branch library systems, budgeting, purchasing, long range planning, building facilities, and project development and computer technology. A working knowledge of PINES cataloging is desired. A working knowledge of PINES reporting is desired. Experience with Library Construction project/renovation management is highly desired. Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
The purpose of the position is to assist the director in the planning, organization, management, and administration of the Dougherty County Library. The class is responsible for assistance with long range planning, facilities, project development and coordination of computer systems. The class works according to some procedures; decides how and when to do things under general supervision.
- Supervises staff including selecting or recommending selection, cataloging, training, assigning and evaluating work, counseling, disciplining, and terminating or recommending termination.
- Responsible for the assurance that all library branches are adequately staffed and operating properly.
- Provide supervisory guidance to all branch and department managers.
- Conduct monthly meeting with branch managers / department heads to ensure proper operations within departments and branches.
- Provide knowledge and training on updates to the Library ILS.
- Responsible for the planning and implementation of annual Library Staff Development Day
- Assists in the development of training programs on library operations.
- May assist in the establishment and implementation and testing of library ILS system.
- Analyzes computer requirements for the library system; assists in the evaluation, selection, and purchase of library equipment and database subscriptions;
- Responsible for the proper expenditure of State Grants and the assurance that grants are expended by the deadline.
- Design workshops/presentations on library policies and procedures
- Articulate library issues through the GPLS helpdesk portal
- Ensures all computer and mechanical equipment is functioning properly; coordinates the servicing and repair of equipment as needed.
- May assume the management responsibility of a library branch/department where management is needed.
- Assists in the coordination of library expansion; confers with architects and suppliers; maintains contact to assists in the assurance of a timely completion of expansion projects.
- May assist in the preparation of the annual budget; researches equipment costs, assimilates data, and determines departmental requirements; monitors expenditures to ensure budgetary compliance.
- Assists the public by responding to questions, furnishing information, and/or resolving concerns.
- Represent the library at community events to promote an awareness of library service and resources
- Other duties as assigned by Library Director. Reports to Library Director.
Master’s degree in Library Science from an institution accredited by the American Library Association, with at least five years professional librarian experience in increasingly responsible positions. Library management experience is a must. Experience with staff scheduling is required. Experience with library construction project management is highly desired. Requires certification within six months as a Librarian (Grade 5-B or higher) by the Georgia State Board for the Certification of Librarians. The ability to obtain and maintain a valid Georgia Driver’s License for required travel between library branches and transport library equipment up to 35 pounds is required.
Working schedule fluctuates and may require night and weekend duty. Schedule may include working at and providing management for any Dougherty County Library. Thi position includes life and health insurance, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave. Georgia Teacher’s Retirement System. Deferred Compensation plans available.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.