University of Tulsa
This position reports to the Dean of McFarlin Library and is responsible for direction and management of all public services except those related to Special Collections. The Director of Public Services leads a team of five professional librarians, six full-time hourly staff, and part-time student workers in delivering high-quality, customer-focused direct library services to the students, faculty, and staff of the university. Services include research and reference assistance, library instruction, interlibrary borrowing and document delivery, outreach to faculty, library website development and maintenance, and all collection access services.
- Shares responsibility for management of the general library collections with the Director of Bibliographic Services
- Serve as a member of the McFarlin Library Leadership Team. Specific responsibilities include: Directing, managing, and participating in all areas of research and reference assistance to the TU community, including hiring, training, and supervising research staff, providing research services, selection of materials, and overseeing the scheduling of staff and services in the department
- Directing, managing, and participating in all areas of library instruction for the TU community, including hiring, training, and overseeing library staff instructors
- Directing, managing, and participating in all areas of interlibrary lending/borrowing, and document delivery services
- Directing, managing, and participating in all areas of collection access services, including hiring, training, overseeing all Access Services Department personnel, ensuring that all hours of operation are covered and all services are rendered effectively to library patrons
- Leading a team of library staff in developing and implementing library/student engagement activities
- In cooperation with the Dean of the Library, collaborating with faculty and other campus stakeholders in identifying additional library service and resources needs
- Collecting and analyzing public service library statistics for review by the Library Leadership Team
- Master’s degree in Library Science or Library & Information Science from an American Library Association (ALA)accredited program
- Minimum of 3-5 years of library management experience; Strong demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Strong demonstrated communication skills
- Demonstrated success in working with students and faculty in a university or college setting in a public services role
- Strong demonstrated ability to provide library instruction
- Strong knowledge of library technology systems and trends
- Excellent organization and problem-solving skills
- Willingness and ability to lead and work with an ever changing schedule, including nights and weekends as necessary.
- Previous experience with strategic planning and organizational performance assessment in an academic library setting
- Previous experience working with faculty on scholarly communication issues
- Previous experience in collections policy development and implementation
- Previous experience with creating, implementing, and managing OER (Open Educational Resources) as part of the library environment
To apply for this job please visit universitytulsa.peopleadmin.com.