Broward County Library
Broward County (FL) seeks a Director of Libraries to lead this award-winning library system (headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, FL) to new heights of innovation and service. The successful candidate will be an experienced leader that is achievement-oriented, has exceptional customer service values, and can motivate the organization to deliver 21st Century library services. The incoming Director should have a collaborative approach to service delivery with a demonstrated track record of leading effective teams, as well as the experience to represent Broward County Library’s interests in local, statewide, and national industry organizations.
Broward County Library (BCL), the ninth-largest library system in the nation, serves a diverse and engaged community representing 166 countries and 80+ languages. The Library’s 38 locations reach 1.9 million residents through five regional libraries, numerous branches, and reading centers, the Main Library, and the African American Research Library and Cultural Center featuring an art gallery, special collections, and a state-of-the-art auditorium. The Library is a model of 21st-century library service and provides innovative and cost-effective services and an outstanding quality of life for the community in a world that continues to change. BCL recently received the American Library Association’s 2020 “Library of the Future” award honoring their “Project Welcome” initiative, which engages English-language learners and provides support on their journey to English literacy. The Library has also implemented its “Gear to Go” initiative, which provides a wide variety of objects for learning and access such as wellness center equipment, tablets, and hotspots, and augmented reality equipment. The ideal candidate will be at the forefront of change, inspire and support staff, and embrace the challenges that libraries face. As an advocate for the BCL and access for all, the Director of Libraries will position Broward County Library to strategically incorporate new technology and unique partnership opportunities.
- Manages, directs, and leads the Libraries Division in all its operational responsibilities and its strategic goals.
- Formulates long-range goals for the organization, develops policy, and position papers in consultation with, or on behalf of the County Chief Administrative Officer and/or elected officials.
- Coordinates planning of library facilities, oversees and provides professional input to library construction, renovation, and restoration.
- Coordinates cooperative practices among libraries and creates partnerships with outside entities.
- Develops, implements, and maintains strategic, fiscal, and capital improvement plans for the Division.
- ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science or a closely related advanced degree
- Six years of progressively responsible experience managing the operations of a large library system with multiple locations and a minimum of six years’ supervisory experience.
- Essential skills include excellent internal and external communication skills that inspire and motivate
- Ability to develop and implement a shared vision of innovative library service
- Skills in building and maintaining effective relationships with the staff, stakeholders representing library auxiliary groups, local officials, and community leaders
- Experience in strategic visioning and planning and sound fiscal management
- A track record of commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and successful experience implementing library services and programs.
- Proven experience and success in collaborating with County or municipal officials is highly desirable.
The hiring salary range is $131,332 – $209,606 with an excellent benefits package. For further information, visit our website at http://www.bradburymiller.com. Apply via email with a cover letter and resume as Word or PDF attachments to Karen Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the closing date of June 27, 2021.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com