City West Fargo
Under the general direction of the Library Director, the Deputy Director of Public Services oversees system-wide Library functions including delivery of library services and programs, all aspects of customer service, evaluation and continuous improvement of library services. The Deputy Director drives implementation of the Library’s strategic plans, internal communications, and employee engagement and training. The Deputy Director directs the Library in the absence of the Library Director.
- Leads, coordinates, and administers system-wide public service functions, including delivery of programs for youth and adults, circulation services, outreach and mobile services, customer service and guest experience, evaluation and continuous improvement of library services.
- Partners with the Library Director in fostering an internal culture of positivity, excitement for continuous organizational change, and a customer focus, by leading internal marketing cycles that emphasize clear communication about change, what action is necessary, and how that action will impact the success of the Library.
- Drives the ongoing implementation and evaluation of the Library’s strategic plan, focusing on a commitment to library-wide and citywide goals and values. Directs the development and implementation of timely departmental goals and plans.
- Provides direct supervision and leadership to library managers and staff by promoting the vision and mission of the Library and the City and by reinforcing desired employee work behaviors. Facilitates the group problem-solving process, recognizes positive results, manages conflict, and negotiates satisfactory outcomes.
- Manages library-wide employee engagement, provides clear expectations, onboarding, training, coaching, mentorship, and evaluation for employees.
- Builds trust and a trusting environment, through leading by example, telling the truth, displaying honest and ethical behavior in all interactions, working without hidden agendas, ensuring that actions and words are consistent, and following through on commitments.
- Within assigned areas of responsibility, participates in supervision, hiring and termination procedures, disciplinary actions, performance reviews, and provides direction and training to assigned staff. Ensures that reports are trained in safe work practices and that safety procedures are followed.
- Directs staff to ensure follow through on established service development methods, including accountability for continuous community assessment and partnerships, establishment of user outcomes, evaluation of programs and services, and timely reporting of results to library management and other stakeholders.
- In coordination with the Library Director and staff, conducts customer service needs analysis and establishes library-wide customer service standards (goals, guidelines, policies, procedures) that promote excellence in services and products. Demonstrates a respect for and commitment to identifying and meet diverse customer needs and to continuously improve customer service.
- Recommends improvements to library policies pertaining to all aspects of public services to the Library Director and Library Board.
- Participates in providing direct customer service to patrons. Leads by example and supports staff in responding to public concerns and interests, and in working with patrons who may be experiencing trauma. Manages public service problems and safety issues at customer service points.
- Acts as a staff liaison to the Friends of the West Fargo Public Library; supports and participates in their activities.
- Assists the Library Director in identifying, pursuing and managing alternative means of supporting financing library services, including grant funding, private funding, and sponsorship.
- Oversees recruitment and administration of volunteer services, including background checks, creation of job descriptions, onboarding, assignment to a supervisor, performance reviews, and recognition of volunteer services.
- Participates in the development of the Library’s annual operating budget request and oversees expenditures. Provides input on long-term financial, staffing, and capital planning.
- Maintains relationships that are key to the Library’s function. Represents the Library in working with elected officials, public and private organizations, the community, media, and other City departments.
- Directs the Library in the absence of the Library Director.
- Works safely, follows safe work practices, and identifies and reports unsafe work conditions.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Four years of increasingly advanced library and customer service experience.
- Including three years of supervisory and administrative experience.
- Equivalent education and experience is acceptable.
- Previous public library experience.
- Previous experience in conducting assessments of complex organizational issues, planning organizational strategies, and leading complex projects.
- Previous experience managing employee engagement and workplace culture programs.
- Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with peers, superiors, other City departments, subordinates, vendors, contractors, external government agencies and organizations.
- Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Previous experience with outcome-based planning and evaluation, design thinking, or human-centered design in a public service setting. (preferred)
- Previous experience implementing strategies to ensure inclusive and equitable work environments. (preferred)
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.