City of Tempe
The Deputy Community Services Director – Library Services is responsible for managing, directing, coordinating and evaluating the programs, policies, materials and services of the Library Services Division. The Library Services Deputy works closely with the Mayor and City Council, City Manager, Tempe Boards and Commissions, partners, employee groups, city departments, and other governmental and non-governmental entities. In addition, the Library Services Deputy will provide executive leadership support to the Library Advisory Board and maintain ongoing, effective communication with its members.
The position starts at $109,882 per year and extends $148,341 based on experience. The position’s schedule is 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday; Nights and Weekends upon schedule adjustments for community meetings, programs, or as needed. This position will be open until the needs of the City are met. First review of applications will occur March 16, 2021. Please attach a resume.
- Requires Five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in professional library administrative work in a comprehensive library operation with at least three (3) years of supervisory responsibility.*
- Requires A Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited college or university.
- Successful completion of initial probationary period is contingent upon passing an FBI background investigation. Based on position, referred applicants may be subject to additional testing which may include pre-employment polygraph, physical and drug screening.
*Years of experience are based upon a full-time work schedule (2,080 hours per year). The sum of an applicant’s full-time and/or part-time qualifying work experience must meet or exceed the stated minimum qualification. Education will not substitute for the required work experience; however, related unpaid and/or volunteer work experience may be used as qualifying work experience.
- Develop, recommend and direct the implementation of division goals and objectives and policies and procedures, strategic priorities and measures in accordance with the core values of the City; Creativity, Diversity, Integrity, Quality, Openness, People and Respect.
- Direct, oversee and participate in the development of the division’s work plan; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor workflow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
- Perform job duties adequately and properly; follow personnel and department polices and operating procedures.
- Motivate, inspire, lead and evaluate personnel; collaborate and work with employees to build and maintain an inclusive team atmosphere that provides excellent and innovative library services, and positively impacts the community.
- Collaborate with local school districts, outside agencies, organizations, boards and other City departments to coordinate activities, develop and grow partnerships, and to implement programs.
- Prepare and implement the division budget, participate in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; administer the approved budget.
- Serve as liaison to the Library Advisory Board and Friends of the Tempe Public Library; ensure that both boards are aware of policy and major procedural changes affecting service to the general public.
- Develop and review staff reports related to the division’s programs and operation.
- Oversee and participate in the preparation of grant proposals; administer and monitor awarded grants.
- Respond to all requests for information or services from the general public; respond to and investigate difficult and sensitive inquiries and complaints.
- Provide continuous effort to improve operations, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly with staff team to provide quality services.
- Provide technical assistance to staff, groups, and agencies.
- Provide pro-active performance planning utilizing employee development tools.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
To apply for this job please visit apply.tempe.gov.