The Elementary School Librarian/Media specialist will manage all aspects of the Elementary School Library including management of a collection of 15,000 print and digital materials, teaching library classes to all elementary school children on a fixed- and flexible schedule, working collaboratively with elementary school teachers to enhance curriculum with library/media resources, managing a group of sixty parent volunteers, and working closely with administration and teachers to create a yearly DEI curriculum of community All School Reads monthly read-aloud books and discussion resources.
- Maintaining the library collection to include ordering new materials and weeding out outdated materials
- Keeping the electronic catalogue system (Destiny) updated
- Attending library professional networking meetings
- Teaching classes to groups of 13 children from kindergarten through fifth grade every other week
- Teaching small reading groups dependent upon teacher request/student needs (enrichment, support)
- Working with the technology coordinator and the homeroom teachers to develop lessons for classes
- Organizing a group of parent volunteers to supervise the library at lunch and during classes, shelve books, help decorate the library, and participate in library work-days to attend to the library’s need for shelving, decorating and covering books.
- Supporting teachers’ curricula
- Developing the summer reading lists for K-5 in collaboration with homeroom teachers
- Developing and updating the core literature lists for each grade in collaboration with homeroom teachers
- Organizing special library days to promote excitement about reading different genres
- Participating on the Book Swap committee and take significant responsibility for those events along with a select group of parent volunteers
- Directing and managing the visiting Author’s and Illustrators Visits
- Arranging other community programs (ex.: Story Pirates, Special Guests, etc.)
- Participating in carpool duties both before and after school
- Attending all faculty meetings as required
- Participating as a full faculty member in all required activities
- Additional hours and an assistant are required when the library is to be re-opened
- Bachelor of Arts from an accredited college or university plus experience as a children’s librarian, literacy specialist, or reading specialist.
- Teaching experience necessary
- MLS strongly preferred
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.