City of Ardmore
The new position of Community Engagement Librarian joins the Youth Services Librarian and Literacy and Outreach Librarian to complete our programming and teaching team. Together you will be responsible for engaging with existing library customers and non-library customers in the community. You will be instrumental in shaping the library’s services in the future by helping to create a new service model.
We are located near I-35 within a 90 minute drive of the Dallas/Fort Worth and Oklahoma City metro areas. The city is surrounded by lakes, we have an outstanding city park system, and a new family recreation center. We have an excellent community theatre and fine arts center/museum. We are the shopping hub for south-central Oklahoma and new businesses and restaurants are opening each month. We have a charming historic downtown revitalized with new shopping, business, and restaurants. Our library has served Ardmore from the early days as a Carnegie library in 1906. We are in our third building (1999) which has over 28,000 square feet of space. The library’s substantial endowment helps to maintain our facility and collections. If you choose to work for the City of Ardmore and join our library staff, you will be provided resources and support to do great things. Bring your ideas and enthusiasm and join us as we prepare for our next decade of service!
Under the supervision of the Library Director, the Community Engagement Librarian works with library staff, management, and other community organizations, to plan and deliver library classes and programs inside and outside the library.
- Develop, plan, and implement library programs to engage with customers and develop new ways to provide services to individuals that are unable to come to the library.
- Work with other city departments and community organizations to develop and strengthen relationships that promote library services.
- Work with the Literacy and Outreach Librarian and Youth Services Librarian to provide classes and programs that promote literacy.
- Promote programs and activities through press releases and promotional materials that are available on the radio, in the newspaper, in social media, and through brochures and flyers.
- Identify grant opportunities and apply for and administer the grants the library receives with a focus on funding for literacy and programming.
- Assist in collecting and compiling specific information needed for reporting to granting agencies.
- Serve as a co-manager of the library’s computer lab
- Work in the public service area providing traditional library services including helping with research and use of the public Internet computers as needed.
- Participate in the selection and weeding of the collections.
- Assist with annual inventory and budgeting as needed.
- Provide technical assistance to staff and general public.
- Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in education, public relations, or communications desired.
- Prefer Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies from an American Library Association accredited program or in Education or equivalent.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred but not required.
- Valid driver’s license
- Current Oklahoma Library Certification from the Oklahoma Department of Libraries or one obtained within two years of employment.
- Good interpersonal skills, including listening, team building, and conflict resolution within groups (consensus) and between individuals, staff and members of the public.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Able to speak publicly
- Read and understand complex documents
- Proficiency in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Publisher, and Excel.
- Operate complex machines and equipment (desktop/laptop computer and software, office machines and equipment, classroom presentation equipment)
- Ability to work independently each day with little direct supervision while following the general directives of the Library Director.
- Work with great accuracy and initiative.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.