Website Columbia University Libraries
Columbia University Libraries seeks applicants for the remote Ask A Librarian Internship. The Ask A Librarian Internship provides current and recently-graduated library school students with hands-on experience in various areas of academic librarianship. Interns will receive training and support from a librarian supervisor in order to assist users through the Ask A Librarian chat reference service. Additionally, interns will work with their supervisor to conduct a specific project, which can be conducted remotely or in-person, such as designing and delivering a workshop session, creating topical research guides, or processing special collections. Interns will be assigned to a project based on their interests and project availability.
The Ask A Librarian Internship Program seeks to provide meaningful working experiences that relate to the goals and interests of the intern. BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) library school students and recent graduates are highly encouraged to apply. Three positions are currently available. Interns are anticipated to start September 7th, 2021, with an expected end date of on or before December 23rd, 2021, for a period of approximately four months total. The internship will be conducted remotely. Interns residing in the New York City area will have the option to conduct project work at Columbia University’s Morningside Campus if desired. The position pays $20/hour.
The schedule is variable, but requires six hours of chat reference staffing during evenings and/or weekends, and four hours of working on a project and meeting with their supervisor, for a total of 10 hours per week. Anticipated evening and weekend chat reference hours include Monday-Thursday 5pm to 8pm, and Saturday or Sunday 12pm to 6pm (Eastern Time).
- Provide research assistance to users via chat reference
- Refer users to appropriate Libraries departments or staff members
- Successfully complete a project as directed by an intern supervisor
- Meet with intern supervisor once per week
- Must be currently enrolled in a Master of Library Science (MLS) or equivalent program in the United States, or have graduated from a MLS program within the past year and be a U.S. resident
- Ability to work evenings and/or weekends
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills
- Coursework or experience in research services/reference
- Ability to evaluate, understand, and respond to research questions
- Strong commitment to service
Please submit a cover letter and resume to the Ask A Librarian Internship Coordinators at AskALibrarianInternship@library.columbia.edu by Monday, July 26th. We expect to notify successful applicants by mid-August, and unsuccessful applicants will be notified by late August. For Questions or Additional Information please contact AskALibrarianInternship@library.columbia.edu.
To apply for this job please visit guides.library.columbia.edu.