Website City of Glendale
The Librarian Specialist regularly performs duties that routinely draw upon and require specialized knowledge, experience, skills and abilities. This position may be utilized in any department dependent on Library needs.
Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Instructs staff and the general public at a system-wide level on programming, tools, technology and activities in the MakerSpace and other innovative spaces, such as 3D printing, design, electronics, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics) programming, audio, video and photo production and editing, sewing, and other equipment housed in these areas.
- Manages project and timelines for innovative and technology based initiatives including the preparation of system-wide events for all ages, activities and large scale city collaborations and programming.
- Researches, recommends, and implements the necessary equipment, furnishings, and software as related to our innovative spaces in all library sites.
- Facilitates engagement with community groups to promote the library and innovative services and programming.
- Develops and maintains partnerships with outside organizations and community groups.
- Represents the library in public forums including providing school visits, classroom talks, orientation sessions and library tours and community events. Collaborates closely with the Library Information Technology department to initiate, implement and maintain all technologies and equipment related to innovative services system-wide.
- Routinely acts as lead library staff person or “Person in Charge” as needed. Exercises lead supervision over lower level staff and directly supervises assigned subordinate staff as needed. May schedule, train, coordinate, and review work of assigned staff. May assist with hiring and evaluating staff.
- Assists in supervising and managing the programs and activities for a service area of the Library, Arts & Culture Department. Demonstrates initiative in identifying and recommending improvements to programs, services and work processes related to their specialty area. Recommends policy and procedure amendments as needed.
- Provides and responds to in-depth readers’ advisory, informational and specialty service questions. Possesses a depth of knowledge and experience in a specific specialty area including, but not limited to, arts & culture, IT applications and/or emerging technologies. Negotiates with vendors as needed and perform project coordination as assigned by management.
- Assists patrons of all ages in every aspect of utilizing the library.
- Assists the public in accessing information and library resources.
- Assists patrons with circulation functions and financial transactions.
- Provides some level of reference and research assistance.
- Plans and implements programs including, but not limited to, storytelling, films, arts and crafts, recitals, gallery exhibitions, training workshops and other activities.
- Orders and receives library materials as well as processes related invoices..
- Provides technology instruction and troubleshooting assistance on a variety of technology devices, tools and software.
- Initiates inter-library loans, conducts online material and information searches, produces subject bibliographies and reading lists, selects and maintains library materials.
- Maintains currency of professional knowledge by attending professional meetings and staff conferences. Keeps abreast on trends in publishing, automation and public library practices.
- Participates in staff meetings and system oriented planning sessions.
- Maintains records and statistics, as well as prepares associated reports.
- Directs clerical and part-time staff when the unit supervisor is absent.
- May be called upon to drive a vehicle or travel on City business as necessary.
- Ensures Department services are provided with exceptional customer service and the highest level of ethical standards.
- Assumes responsibility for ensuring the duties of the position are performed in a safe efficient manner.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as the situation requires.
Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science or a related field from an accredited college or university AND two years professional library experience and demonstrated knowledge and expertise through work experience or education in the relevant area of specialty OR a Bachelor’s Degree in the specialty field AND demonstrated knowledge and expertise through at least three years of work experience in the relevant area of specialty.
Bilingual ability in Armenian, Korean, Spanish or other languages commonly spoken in the community is highly desirable.
Valid Class C California driver’s license.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.