Orem Public Library
The Librarian works under the direction of a Library Division Manager. This position performs professional library work such as collection development, reference and cataloging. The Librarian directs the activities of a major service area of the Library and supervises other library personnel as assigned.
- Plans, directs and supervises a major service area of the library. Considers planning related to space and library environs. Develops and implements short and long-range plans.
- Serves as a member of the Library’s executive staff.
- Responsible for the management of a significant and complex body of knowledge relating to bibliography and information negotiation, and classification and cataloging.
- Catalogs print and non-print items and electronic resources.
- Responsible for all facets of the assigned area for collection development, including selecting books or other items for purchase, automated inventory control, mending and discarding decisions. Conducts needs assessments and develops spending priorities.
- Provides professional reference and advisory service to patrons, and develops and presents programs to the public.
- Prepares written reports and administers a section budget.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and mentors library employees.
- Assists in all service areas of the library.
- Understands basic computer operations, and is familiar with word processing programs, spreadsheets, and other office software, as well as various social media and their use in promoting library programs and services. May manage and contribute web content.
- Communicates with other organizations such as schools, arts organizations, and other non-profits to create partnerships and build programs.
- May participate in writing and applying for grants to supplement library programs and services.
- Provides assistance to others in person and on the telephone.
- Performs duties that may include light physical effort such as bending, stooping, and walking and prolonged sitting at a desk or computer terminal. Occasionally lifts books, boxes and equipment weighing as much as 40 pounds.
- Deals appropriately with people in situations that may, at times, become confrontational, stressful or uncomfortable.
- Manages numerous tasks and assignments at a time with frequent interruptions.
- Must work the days and hours necessary to perform responsibilities. Must be available during regular business hours to conduct regular business.
- Work may require an exposure to stressful circumstances, including the meeting of deadlines, other stressful work conditions and contact with the public or other employees in negative situations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Thorough knowledge of library management and professional principles, practices, trends, procedures, and techniques of library science.
- Broad knowledge with one or more areas of subject specialty.
- Ability to develop appropriate library strategy for both print and digital resources.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other employees, the public, and a local and statewide professional network.
- Ability to perform in any major service area of the library.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Skill in the operation of a computer and related technologies as applied to library and information science and library programming.
- Requires a Master’s Degree in Library Science or related field and three years as a working library professional or paraprofessional and some management or supervisory experience.
- Experience may be substituted for education if knowledge, skills and abilities have been demonstrated.
- Maintains a valid Utah Driver’s License. Will observe all traffic regulations, follow City policy and be a safe, courteous and responsible driver while operating City vehicles. Must wear seatbelt and make certain that other passengers are in seatbelts when vehicle is in operation.
To apply for this job please visit www.glassdoor.com.