The Cataloging Librarian is responsible for providing original and copy cataloging of library materials in all formats to meet quality and production expectations across the collections in a team and project-based environment. The Cataloging Librarian applies metadata for a wide range of formats, using current and emerging metadata schema, principles, and practices. With the team of librarians and the Director of Golden Library, the Cataloging Librarian will develop and maintain cataloging processes, procedures, and workflows.
Working in a team-oriented environment, the Cataloging Librarian will:
- Supervise and train employees and student workers who perform copy cataloging and technical processing operations.
- Actively participate in the development, implementation and training of cataloging standards and practice. The Cataloging Librarian assumes responsibility for their own continuing education and keeps current on updates, developments and changes in standards and tools required for their work.
- Maintain the authority control system of the library and perform original and copy cataloging /classification in all formats using RDA, LC-PCC Policy Statements and Program for Cooperative Cataloging guidelines, Library of Congress Classification, Library of Congress subject headings and genre/form terms.
- Oversee cataloging materials in all formats including print, digital, manuscripts, rare books, AV, archival and pictorial materials.
- In collaboration with the Golden Library Systems Administrator, takes a lead role in maintaining and configuring the ILS.
- Manage controlled subject vocabularies and apply metadata schema and metadata crosswalks to improve access to the Golden Library website, databases, digital media, etc.
- Reviews all MARC records loaded into the system to ensure they meet standards and has authority in all instances to alter bibliographic copy, treatments, or classification of previously cataloged materials in order to achieve optimum bibliographic control and access.
- Serve as a collection development liaison for assigned disciplines and collaborate with faculty to develop these areas of the print and digital collections.
- Provide reference services and research/information literacy instruction as needed.
- Assist with specialized reports and perform other duties as assigned.
- Contribute to Golden Library initiatives that further ENMU’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
A master’s degree in Library Science and a minimum of two years experience (in the most recent five years) directly related to the duties specified is required. A pre-employment background check is required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Working knowledge of all facets of library operations.
- Knowledge of common metadata schema (XML, RDF, RDA, MARC, Library of Congress classification and Dublin Core), crosswalks, concept mapping, and interoperability issues.
- Experience working with an Integrated Library System.
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Office 360) and familiarity with virtual/webex meeting technologies.
- Demonstrated initiative and proven ability to learn new technologies and adapt to changes in the profession.
- Evidence of excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Evidence of problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to interpret and evaluate client informational needs and to determine appropriate alternative solutions.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
- Work is performed during normal work hours with some evening and weekend hours
- Work is sedentary in nature that at times requires exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects
Please ensure that you attach all required documents even if you have applied for other positions at ENMU as the committee does not have access to those records. Attach the following document:
- Letter of interest
- Contact information for three references (Blind reference calls may be made on applicants who become a finalist for the position)
- Transcripts (unofficial for application purposes)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com