Website Caltech Library
The Caltech Library seeks a technically adept, forward thinking, versatile Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) information professional who is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the changing nature of library service and technologies. The Library is in a period of rapid change to meet the evolving needs of Caltech’s top-tier research and education programs in a timely and cost-effective manner. The HSS Librarian joining our team will be excited about working closely with Caltech’s faculty to support their research and develop well-rounded science and engineering students.
Reporting to the Head of Research Services, this position will contribute HSS subject expertise and Divisional feedback to the instructional, reference, and collection management activities of the Library. They will work with other subject specialists in a collaborative, innovative team environment to provide service excellence at every phase of the research life cycle. This is an Essential Reporting position. An employee designated as essential reporting has essential job skills that are needed for response and recovery, and is expected to report to campus as soon as possible.
- Serve as the HSS subject matter expert within the Library to assess needs and serve Caltech’s faculty, researchers, and students in the HSS Division.
- Establish and maintain regular outreach and communications with the HSS Division.
- Perform general and in-depth reference and research consultations in HSS-related fields.
- Provide expertise in the evaluation, accessibility, selection, deployment, and training in and promotion of HSS-related information resources offered by the Library.
- Develop and deliver formal and informal instruction sessions and workshops, including the effective use of research and literature databases.
- Contribute to the Library’s ongoing efforts to develop inclusive collections and services that support equitable access for a diverse Caltech community.
- Contribute to the Library’s Research Data Management and Data Carpentry programs.
- Contribute to the Library’s strategic planning and evaluation of library resources and services.
- Stay abreast of developments in publishing and open science for related liaison areas.
- Contribute to the profession through service to library/information science organizations, professional organizations in the Liaison
- Assignment discipline, or independent scholarship leading to publication.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Graduate degree (Master’s or Doctoral level) in library science, humanities, social science, or another related research field (OR MLS/MLIS with relevant subject liaison experience).
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication.
- Experience with or potential for providing successful outreach in an academic setting.
- Experience with or potential for teaching in a library environment.
- Demonstrated success working both in teams and self-directed assignments.
- Evidence of or potential for successful professional service.
- Familiarity with social science data manipulation and visualization tools and techniques.
- Familiarity with the scholarly communication landscape.
We recognize that equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging are core to the mission of the Caltech Library. Equity goes beyond equality and means fair and impartial access to our collections and services for the entire Caltech community. Diversity means all of the various ways the members of our community are unique; it includes but is not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, and national origin. Inclusion means embracing all members of our community as part of a greater whole. Belonging means full acceptance of the members of our community and celebrating them for the richness their experiences bring to our collective work. These values are the primary guiding principle in our work, and they are both individual responsibilities and institutional imperatives.
To apply for this job please visit phf.tbe.taleo.net.