Garfield County Libraries
Garfield County Public Library District (GCPLD) is a progressive organization that fosters a culture of open communication, trust, shared learning, and independent quest for knowledge. GCPLD was honored in 2020 to receive the prestigious “Library Partnership of the Year” award from the Colorado Association of Libraries for our Business & Breakfast event series. At GCPLD, Branch Managers divide their time between two essential duties 1) providing day-to-day supervision of all aspects of public library services for the Branch, building and sustaining staff morale, promoting work-life balance, and training and empowering our staff, and 2) serving as an engaged member of the GCPLD’s Public Services Management Team (PSMT). The PSMT is responsible for the development of systemwide public service objectives and for implementing and championing the decisions of the PSMT, the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and the Executive Director to their staff.
We welcome and expect new ideas and challenges to the status quo. We embrace failure as part of the formula for growth. Successful Branch Managers here are those who push themselves and their staff out of their comfort zones; actively participate in the growth of their branch as well as GCPLD as a whole; and effectively communicate to all levels. GCPLD is a place for innovation and collaboration. We work in a fast paced, strategic environment with a lot on our plates at all times.
GCPLD is one district made up of six library branches. Our Branch Managers are able to see the big picture without losing sight of the details. They provide effective leadership to their individual branches while working collectively with the Public Services Management Team in the pursuit of district-wide initiatives and goals. We celebrate the uniqueness of each community we serve and we bring the strength of a unified district to each of our branches. We are seeking qualified applicants for Branch Manager at our Glenwood Springs and Silt, Colorado locations.
- Promotes and supports the library through materials, services, outreach and programming.
- Selects materials and maintains a collection designed to meet the needs of the intended audiences.
- Manages all aspects of branch staffing including hiring and training new staff, conducting regular staff meetings, completing payroll and all related tasks.
- Works with Circulation Coordinator on scheduling and other circulation functions.
- Understands the importance of determining the users’ needs, researching and locating answers in a timely manner, while providing accurate information; ability to use various technologies and informational databases, ability to train others to the same standard of care.
- Provides direct customer service to library patrons, assisting with their information questions, readers’ advisory and circulation needs.
- Handles patron concerns and complaints.
- Develops, plans and implements library programming in conjunction with other staff.
- Provides general reference assistance by helping customers answering questions, placing holds, completing forms, etc.
- Resolves any customer issues and communicate library policies and procedures to patrons.
- Works with the Youth Services Coordinator to promote outreach in the community to children such as school visits and after-school programs.
- Oversees the daily image of the Branch including maintaining attractive displays, keeping the facility tidy, and identifying any areas for needed repair or improvement.
- Submits publicity information for programs, events and informational items, prepares bibliographies/reading lists on a variety of subjects and interest areas.
- Objectively assesses the success of library programming in terms of the relevancy and appropriateness to developmental needs of the targeted group and the redefined expectations set through the planning process.
- Supports and promotes new technologies
- Shares information and coordinates activities with other Branches and Administration.
- Participates in Management Team meetings and activities attends Board meetings and other meetings as necessary.
- Keeps up on trends in public libraries through professional resources related to library service.
- Responsible for oversight of the library facility (indoors and outdoors).
- MLS or MLIS degree from a graduate library school accredited by ALA
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public library functions
- Previous supervisory experience required
- 3-5 years of progressively responsible library experience preferred
This is a full-time (minimum 40 hours per week), exempt position. The hiring range for the Branch Manager position is $52,000 – $66,560 annually (DOE); benefits include medical, dental, vision, and employer contribution to retirement fund; paid vacation, sick, and holidays.
To apply for this job please visit gcpld.isolvedhire.com.