City of Orem
Under general supervision of a Librarian or Library Division Manager the Associate Librarian is responsible for performing professional, technical and supervisory library duties.
- Performs professional tasks including reference/research and advisory service, classification and cataloging, collection development, stacks management, collection inventory, and program development.
- Performs both technical and clerical work associated with collection maintenance and preservation, processing and acquisitions, circulation, and outreach services.
- Oversees daily operations and assists in establishing section and division goals and objectives. This position assists in hiring Assistant Librarians and Pages. The Associate Librarian supervises, trains and schedules Assistant Librarians, Pages and Volunteers.
- Provides input and assists in monitoring and expending funds for a collection or section budget.
- Serves as a member of the Division’s management team.
- Prepares necessary records and reports.
- Operates a computer and its various programs.
- Provides information to others in person or over the phone.
- Performs duties that may include light physical effort such as lifting, bending, stooping, and walking and prolonged sitting at a desk or computer terminal. Occasionally may lift books and move shelving components weighing as much as 40 pounds.
- Deals appropriately with people in situations that may, at times, become confrontational, stressful or uncomfortable.
- Manages numerous tasks and assignments at a time with frequent interruptions.
- Work may require an exposure to stressful circumstances, including the meeting of deadlines, other stressful work conditions and contact with the public in negative situations.
- Works days and hours assigned and begins and ends work on time.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of all library techniques, methods, and procedures as an entry level professional.
- Considerable knowledge of the liberal arts and of the library’s collections.
- Knowledge of generally accepted supervisory practices and techniques.
- Ability to supervise the work of library employees.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with patrons and other library personnel.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Able to accomplish multiple tasks with little supervision.
- Skill in operating a computer and related technologies as applied to library and information science.
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in liberal arts, or Associate’s Degree in library technology with progressively responsible library experience.
- Experience may be substituted for education if relevant skills, knowledge and abilities have been demonstrated.
- Maintains a valid Utah Driver’s License. Will observe all traffic regulations, follow City policy and be a safe, courteous and responsible driver while operating City vehicles. Must wear seat belts and make certain that other passengers are in seatbelts when the vehicle is in operation.