Salt Lake City Public Library
Salt Lake City Public Library is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant Director of Customer Experience. This executive level position provides a unique opportunity for a talented professional to define a new role focused on enhancing all aspects of customer experience at the Salt Lake City Public Library within the context of our Strategic Roadmap. The successful candidate will provide transformational leadership, have an ability to foster collaboration and optimism, manage change, and coach and support staff in being experimental, agile, and highly collaborative. You will have an opportunity to foster operational improvement and help grow a project-based approach to envisioning, designing, implementing, managing, and assessing customer-focused ideas related to services, service models, and spaces.
- Foster exceptional customer experiences. Guides the organization in creating and enhancing positive customer experiences at all touchpoints. Promotes a system-wide culture of empathy, human-centric thinking, and a focus on the customer experience. Collects and analyzes customer satisfaction data, and uses data to make recommendations for improving all aspects of customer experience. Aligns service models, spaces, services, and collections to support the Salt Lake Public Library Experience Principles.
- Employee engagement. Directly supervises assigned employees. Builds a high performing team of managers that supports the library experience and the organization’s goals. Encourages creativity and healthy discussions among staff to arrive at innovative, practical, and refined approaches and solutions. Makes hiring decisions. Matches staff talents and skills with projects and allocates resources. Ensures managers have the knowledge, skills, and abilities they need to excel in their positions. Monitors performance, sets goals, evaluates, and motivates team members. Coaches, counsels, and disciplines staff members not meeting expectations or requirements. Works effectively with people from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Customer Experience Plan. Identifies competencies (skills, knowledge, and attitudes) needed by employees to ensure positive customer service experiences. Defines standards and metrics related to customer satisfaction. Develops, implements and oversees customer satisfaction management plan. Assists managers in building customer service satisfaction metrics into all aspects of work so that we are continually evaluating and improving customer experience and perception of the library.
- Project Management. Takes the lead in guiding system-wide operationalization and evaluation of our Strategic Roadmap. Responsible for envisioning, planning, implementing, evaluating, managing, budgeting, and coordinating assigned projects. Manages multiple projects simultaneously.
- Working relationships. Actively participates on assigned leadership teams. Works closely with the Staff Development Coordinator, Administrative Manager of Public Services, and Managers to promote continual learning and use of Service Design skills and methodologies. Works closely with the Assistant Director of Community Engagement to ensure that service models are consistently implemented across programming and outreach activities. Fosters good working relationships with staff and community members. Positively represents the Library to external stakeholders and organizations.
- Decision Making. Collects, monitors, and analyzes relevant quantitative and qualitative data to make informed decisions. Assesses alternatives from multiple viewpoints and perspectives. Effectively implements decisions and evaluates results. Makes decisions with a commitment to developing and contributing to an inclusive and equitable work environment.
- Communication. Regularly and proactively communicates relevant information related to customer experience initiatives, and customer satisfaction data across the organization. Ensures library services, along with the Library’s brand and message, are being delivered at a consistently high level. Coordinates the collection and sharing of positive stories of customer satisfaction and transformation.
- Building a better community. Focuses on the role the Library can play in changing people’s lives and in enhancing communities. Proactively gathers information on community needs and aspirations to balance customer experience approaches. Evaluates services, prioritizes projects, and allocates resources to effectively meet organizational and community needs.
- Budget process. Participates in the development of the annual Library budget. Provides guidance on any customer experience needs or evaluation tools.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program, five years progressively responsible library related experience, and two years of supervisory or management experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including experience with mentoring and guiding staff to ensure people and teams are effectively delivering and improving services. Skilled at creating a healthy and positive work environment where open communication and collaboration thrive.
- Demonstrated commitment to developing and contributing to an inclusive and equitable work environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to integrating cultural competency practices into their daily work.
- Proven ability to work with people from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills; skill with group and team dynamics, and the ability to motivate and negotiate with individuals and groups while maintaining the values of the Salt Lake City Public Library Culture Statement.
- Experience in project management, including planning and evaluation, managing a budget, scheduling and monitoring, coordinating multiple projects, and project communications. Must be able to use technology to plan, communicate, deploy and evaluate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to assess, recommend, and implement improved policies, processes and procedures relating to areas of responsibility.
- Ability to use data in decision making.
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with staff, other managers, community members, and the public.
- If travel is required for library purposes, employees must have transportation. If using a personal vehicle must maintain state required insurance.
- A growth mindset and deep curiosity for every facet of work.
- Knowledge of service design or “design thinking” tools and methodologies.
- Strong organizational skills to operationalize system priorities and initiatives.
- Experience and skill in data analysis and outcome-based assessment.
- Experience with library operations, programs, and services.
- Experience with library computer systems, databases, software, and commonly used technology and applications.
- Spanish language and/or other non-English language skills.
To Apply: Send an email with an attached résumé and cover letter (PDF or Word Document) indicating position title to the Human Resources Department at email@example.com. Preference will be given to applicants who apply by April 5, 2021.
To apply for this job please visit about.slcpl.org.